How Is the Force of Friction Calculated for a Block Against a Wall?

The force of friction can be found using the equation Fk= µ ( F sin θ - mg). Substituting in the given values, we can find that the force of friction is approximately 14.5 N.
thaixicedxtea

Homework Statement

As shown in the figure, a block is pushed up against the wall. Let the mass of the block be m=2.3 kg, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the wall be µ= 0.53, and θ= 62. Suppose F = 68 N.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.
Find the force of friction. Answer in units of N.
http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=71957582pz7.jpg
http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=71957582pz7.jpg

Homework Equations

Fk= µ ( F sin θ - mg)
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Well first I used F= µ(F sin θ), but I figured it was too simple, so I drew a free body diagram and saw mg going down on the block. I'm not sure how to go from there. Does the vertical component of force equal mg?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the sum of the vertical components must be equal to the weight of the block.

I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and equations that will be used to solve for the force of friction. The force of friction can be calculated using the formula Ff = µN, where µ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force. In this case, the normal force is equal to the weight of the block, which can be calculated using the formula N = mg.

Next, I would use the given information to solve for the normal force, which is equal to the weight of the block. Using the mass of the block (m=2.3 kg) and the acceleration of gravity (g=9.8 m/s^2), we can calculate the weight of the block to be approximately 22.54 N.

Then, I would use the given force (F=68 N) and the angle (θ=62) to calculate the horizontal component of the force, which is equal to F sin θ. Plugging this value into the formula for force of friction, we get Ff = (0.53)(F sin θ - mg).

Solving for the force of friction, we get Ff = 6.06 N. This means that the force of friction acting on the block is approximately 6.06 N.

I would also consider the limitations and assumptions of this solution. For example, the coefficient of friction may vary depending on the materials of the block and the wall, and there may be other forces acting on the block that could affect the accuracy of this calculation. Further experimentation and analysis may be needed to confirm this result.

Related to How Is the Force of Friction Calculated for a Block Against a Wall?

1. What is the force of friction?

The force of friction is a resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact with each other. It acts in the opposite direction of motion and can either slow down or prevent an object from moving.

2. How is the force of friction calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula: F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force (the force exerted by the surface on the object).

3. What factors affect the force of friction?

The force of friction can be affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the normal force, and the coefficient of friction. The roughness of the surfaces, as well as any lubrication present, can also impact the force of friction.

4. How does the force of friction on a block change with the angle of the surface?

The force of friction on a block is directly proportional to the normal force, which is the perpendicular force exerted by the surface on the block. As the angle of the surface increases, the normal force decreases, resulting in a decrease in the force of friction.

5. How can the force of friction be reduced?

The force of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. Additionally, using smoother or less rough surfaces can also decrease the force of friction. Reducing the weight or normal force can also reduce the force of friction.

Back