How is the formula Kinetic Energy=1/2mv^2 derived?

In summary, the formula for kinetic energy, KE = 1/2mv^2, is derived by integrating the sum of forces over the trajectory of a particle, which results in the work done by those forces. This is known as the work-energy theorem and is a direct consequence of Newton's second law. Alternatively, it can also be derived using the concept of power and without making assumptions about constant acceleration.
Caesar_Rahil
I have returned to this forum after six months.

Physics news on Phys.org
We have a particle at position and velocity [itex]\vec{x}_0, \vec{v}_0[/itex] at time [itex]t.[/itex] Under the application of some force, [itex]\vec{F},[/itex] a time [itex]dt[/itex] later, it has new position and velocity [itex]\vec{x}=\vec{x}_0+d\vec{s}, \vec{v}.[/itex] We can make the time [itex]dt[/itex] as small as we like so that the force [itex]F[/itex] is constant (to first order) over that time.

Assuming the validity of

[tex]\vec{v}^2 = \vec{v}_0^2 + 2\vec{a}\cdot\left(\vec{x}-\vec{x}_0\right),[/tex]

under constant accelerations (which we argue that since [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] is constant, then so is [itex]m\vec{a}[/itex]) then we have

[tex]\vec{v}^2 = \vec{v}_0^2 + 2\vec{a}\cdot\left(\vec{x}-\vec{x}_0\right)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}m\vec{v}^2 = \frac{1}{2}m\vec{v}_0^2 + m\vec{a}\cdot d\vec{s}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}m\vec{v}^2 - \frac{1}{2}m\vec{v}_0^2 = \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{s}[/tex]

We now define [itex]\frac{1}{2}m\vec{v}^2[/itex] as kinetic energy, and [itex]\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{s}[/itex] as work. We can now say that for finite times, the change in kinetic energy is given by

[tex]\int\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{s},[/tex]

and in the absence of external forces, this quantity kinetic energy, remains constant.

The above is the motivation for the classical form of kinetic energy. The expression for kinetic energy cannot be derived, since it is a definition - a function on co-ordinate space.

My form of derivation for KE.

Assume a mass at rest picks up speed after some time t. Let u and v be initial and final speed of the mass. Using kinematics,

v^2 = u^2 + 2as

u = 0 since mass is initially at rest. Substitute F=ma into equation to get

v^2 = 0 + 2s (F/m)
mv^2 = 2Fs
Fs = 0.5 mv^2

force (F) x distance (s) gives energy, so KE = 0.5 mv^2.

The end.

Even shorter:
take x=.5at^2
multiply both sides by a
done!

A much better way of deriving it, is by using the concept of power (time-derivative of work W):
We have, for a particle of constant mass m:
[tex]\vec{F}=m\vec{a}[/tex]
Take the dot product of this equation with the particle velocity:
[tex]\vec{F}\cdot\vec{v}=m\vec{a}\cdot\vec{v}[/tex]
This can then be rewritten as:
[tex]\frac{dW}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{m}{2}\vec{v}^{2}), \frac{dW}{dt}\equiv\vec{F}\cdot\vec{v}[/tex]
Or, even simpler:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(W-\frac{m}{2}\vec{v}^{2})=0[/tex]

Caesar_Rahil said:
I have returned to this forum after six months.
Consider a particle moving from an initial point to a final point. Integrate [itex] \sum {\vec F } = m {\vec a } [/itex] over the trajectory. For the left hand side you get

[tex] \int_{P_i}^{P_f} m {\vec a } \cdot {\vec ds} = \int_{P_i}^{P_f} m {{\vec dv } \over dt} \cdot {\vec ds}= \int_{P_i}^{P_f} m {\vec dv } \cdot {\vec v} [/tex]

And this gives [itex] {1 \over 2} m v_f^2 - {1 \over 2} m v_i^2 [/itex].
The integral on the right hand side (involving the sum of the forces) gives the sum of the work done by all the forces.

This is the origin of the work-energy theorem. It's simply the integral along the trajectory of Newton's second law.

Patrick

v^2=u^2-2gh
u=0
v^2=-2gh
h=v^2/-2g
mgh+KE=o
KE=-mgh
=-mg{v^2/-2g}
=0.5mv^2

In my opinion, the approaches by arildno and nrqed are better because they are more general, making no assumption of constant acceleration.

(Can the thread title be corrected?)

Yes I would agree. (I tried to derive it from memory, and remembered the more elementary derivation I had come across earlier in my studies as opposed to the more general one that I had come across later).

Related to How is the formula Kinetic Energy=1/2mv^2 derived?

1. How is the formula for kinetic energy derived?

The formula for kinetic energy, KE=1/2mv^2, is derived from the work-energy theorem, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that the force applied to an object times the distance it moves is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. By rearranging this equation, we get KE=1/2mv^2.

2. What does each variable in the formula represent?

The "m" in the formula represents the mass of the object, and "v" represents its velocity. The "KE" stands for kinetic energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

3. Why is the exponent 2 in the formula?

The exponent 2 in the formula represents the squared value of the velocity. This is because kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of an object's velocity. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, its kinetic energy increases exponentially.

4. Can the formula be used for objects of any mass and velocity?

Yes, the formula for kinetic energy can be used for objects of any mass and velocity. However, it is important to note that the velocity must be measured in meters per second (m/s) and the mass in kilograms (kg) for the formula to be accurate.

5. Is the formula for kinetic energy the same as the formula for potential energy?

No, the formula for kinetic energy and potential energy are different. While kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or height. The formula for potential energy is PE=mgh, where "m" is the mass, "g" is the acceleration due to gravity, and "h" is the height of the object.