How Is the Fourier Series Derived for Odd and Even Functions?

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with understanding the derivation of the definition of Fourier series. The student's lecturer has explained that if the function is odd, the integral for the cosine part is zero. The student asks for clarification on how this is derived and someone suggests using integration by parts to prove it. The conversation continues with the student trying and struggling with integration by parts.
jac7
I am so stuck on my revision and i really need someones help!

I am using the definition of Fourier series as
f3.jpg

My lecturer has told us that
f4.jpg
if f is odd.

Could someone please tell me how he has derived this because i can't understand how he's got to it, iv tried using trig identities and i just can't get it!

and could someone also tell me what the equivalent is when f is even?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jac7 said:
I am so stuck on my revision and i really need someones help!

I am using the definition of Fourier series as View attachment 34807

My lecturer has told us that View attachment 34808 if f is odd.

Could someone please tell me how he has derived this because i can't understand how he's got to it, iv tried using trig identities and i just can't get it!

and could someone also tell me what the equivalent is when f is even?

Thanks!

Hey there jac7 and welcome to the forums.

Consider when you do integral of f(x)cos(nx). Since cos(-n*pi) = cos(n*pi), what effect will have that on your integral?

You should check on paper using integration by parts what happens when f(x) is odd, and that way you will prove that your integral for the cos(nx) part is zero.

If you have any more questions, show me your working out so I can help you.

chiro said:
Hey there jac7 and welcome to the forums.

Consider when you do integral of f(x)cos(nx). Since cos(-n*pi) = cos(n*pi), what effect will have that on your integral?

You should check on paper using integration by parts what happens when f(x) is odd, and that way you will prove that your integral for the cos(nx) part is zero.

If you have any more questions, show me your working out so I can help you.

Thankyou for replying to my question!

If cos(-n*pi) = cos(n*pi) does that just mean that the integral becomes 0 to pi because -pi=pi?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by using this though because if i integrate cos(nx) it becomes -sin(nx)/n and then this doesn't apply anymore because sin(-n*pi)=-sin(n*pi).

Im sorry if I'm missing something really obvious, I've been trying different things for this so long now that I'm just so confused!

jac7 said:
Thankyou for replying to my question!

If cos(-n*pi) = cos(n*pi) does that just mean that the integral becomes 0 to pi because -pi=pi?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by using this though because if i integrate cos(nx) it becomes -sin(nx)/n and then this doesn't apply anymore because sin(-n*pi)=-sin(n*pi).

Im sorry if I'm missing something really obvious, I've been trying different things for this so long now that I'm just so confused!

The best thing to do is to actually work out the integral of f(x)cos(nx) with limits of -pi to pi. You can use the fact that cos(n*pi) = cos(n*-pi). Again do it by parts so that after a few applications by parts you get a term on the RHS which you can move to the LHS so that you get an explicit expression of the integral.

When you integrate you're cos(nx) you'll get a 1/n sin(nx) which will be zero (since sin(n*pi) = 0 for any integer n). Once you get your integral with cos(nx) terms, use your knowledge of odd functions to show that the integral is zero and you're done.

It will help if you try and do it by parts so I can help you where you are stuck.

chiro said:
The best thing to do is to actually work out the integral of f(x)cos(nx) with limits of -pi to pi. You can use the fact that cos(n*pi) = cos(n*-pi). Again do it by parts so that after a few applications by parts you get a term on the RHS which you can move to the LHS so that you get an explicit expression of the integral.

When you integrate you're cos(nx) you'll get a 1/n sin(nx) which will be zero (since sin(n*pi) = 0 for any integer n). Once you get your integral with cos(nx) terms, use your knowledge of odd functions to show that the integral is zero and you're done.

It will help if you try and do it by parts so I can help you where you are stuck.

chiro said:

I've done it by parts and for my parts I've got
u=f(x) v'=cos(nx)
u'=f'(x) v=sin(nx)/n

so then i get
[tex]0-\int\frac{sin(nx)}{n}f'(x)dx[/tex] (with the integral still between -pi and pi)

but then if i do this again with
a=sin(nx)/n b'=f'(x)
a'=cos(nx) b=f(x)

i just end up with [tex]0-\int f(x)cos(nx)dx[/tex] with the integral between -pi and pi

and then the whole thing is just the same again :S

i don't know why that's not coming up with f(x)cos(nx) but it is supposed to be there!

I've tried it with

a=f'(x) b'=sin(nx)/n
a'=f''(x) b=-cos(nx)/n^2

and iv got that if f is even then the whole is 0
and if f is odd then the whole thing is -2f'(pi)cos(npi)/n^2

I feel like I've gone wrong here?

You might try this instead:

1. Break your integral into two integrals covering x=-pi to 0, and x=0 to pi.
2. Perform a substitution of variables u=-x in the first integral.
3. Negate the first integral and reverse its limits so both integrals now cover 0 to pi.
4. Now call the first variable "x" instead of "u". It's a dummy variable so you can write it how you like.
5. You should have two integrals over the range x=0 to pi, the first has integrand f(-x)exp(inx), the second integral has integrand f(x)exp(-inx).
6. Use the odd property of f; by f(x) odd we mean f(-x)=-f(x). Substitute that into your first integral.
7. You finally have two integrals over the same range and both contain f(x) but different exponential terms. You are allowed to combine these integrals into a single integral.
8. The exponentials sum to a sine using a trig identity.

I've outlined all the steps for you. Try it, and come back if you get stuck.

FAQ: How Is the Fourier Series Derived for Odd and Even Functions?

1. What is a Fourier Series Identity?

A Fourier Series Identity is a mathematical expression that represents a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is a useful tool in understanding and analyzing periodic phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How is a Fourier Series Identity derived?

A Fourier Series Identity is derived by using the Fourier Series formula, which involves decomposing a periodic function into a series of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. This process involves using complex numbers and integrals to find the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms.

3. What is the purpose of using a Fourier Series Identity?

The purpose of using a Fourier Series Identity is to simplify complex periodic functions into simpler terms that are easier to analyze and manipulate. It also allows for the prediction of future values of a periodic function based on its past behavior.

4. Can a Fourier Series Identity be used for non-periodic functions?

A Fourier Series Identity is only applicable to periodic functions. However, it can be extended to approximate non-periodic functions by using a truncated version of the series.

5. How is a Fourier Series Identity used in real-world applications?

A Fourier Series Identity has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as signal processing, image and sound compression, and data analysis. It is also used in solving differential equations and modeling physical phenomena, such as heat transfer and vibration analysis.