How is the induced EMF calculated in a circuit with a swinging pendulum gate?

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit in the xz-plane with a pendulum gate and a constant magnetic field. The question is about finding the induced EMF and there is a discussion about the methodology used to solve it. The solution involves calculating the magnetic flux and taking its derivative. The conversation also mentions three ways in which an EMF can be induced in a loop.
IHateMayonnaise

Homework Statement

I just took a test, and I am very unsure of the validity of how I approached the problem. Just looking for some feedback cause this is bugging me!

There is a circuit in the xz-plane (vertical), and the circuit has on it a gate. The gate is a pendulum of length L, which swings back and forth at some velocity (given), and when it is straight up and down (theta=0) it makes contact with the other lead and completes the circuit. All the time there is a CONSTANT magnetic field B pointing normal to the circuit (+y). What is the induced EMF?

The velocity as a function of time is given:

[tex]\dot{x}=\omega x_o \cos\left(\omega t\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\mathcal{E}=-\frac{1}{c} \frac{d \Phi}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]\Phi = \oint_S \mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{dS}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The initial conditions can be deduced fairly easily ([itex]x_o[/itex] is the horizontal amplitude of the pendulum): [itex] \dot{x}(0)=0, x(0)=x_o[/itex]. From the initial conditions and integrating,

[tex] x(t) = x_o\left[\sin\left(\frac{n\pi t}{2\tau}\right)+1\right][/tex]

My (probably flawed) methodology is what follows. I thought it easier to think of the circuit as staying constant (eg no gate) and the field is pulsing at some rate, which I assume to directly correspond to that of the pendulum. From this we can then calculate the induced emf. Basically from here, all I did was take the above equation, and instead of the position amplitude [itex]x_o[/itex] I substituted the field amplitude [itex]B_o[/itex].

[tex] B(t) = B_o\left[\sin\left(\frac{n\pi t}{2\tau}\right)+1\right][/tex]

From here I just took the derivative and said I was done, but I feel so, so dirty and I know I goofed this up. Thoughts? Thanks yall

IHateMayonnaise

Physics news on Phys.org
"The magnetic flux is a measure of the number of magnetic field lines passing through an area...If the flux changes, an emf will be induced. There are therefore three ways an emf can be induced in a loop:

1. Change the magnetic field
2. Change the area of the loop
3. Change the angle between the field and the loop"

Which one applies here?More here:
http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/py106/InducedEMF.html

Related to How is the induced EMF calculated in a circuit with a swinging pendulum gate?

1. What is induced EMF in a circuit?

Induced EMF in a circuit refers to the voltage created by a changing magnetic field in a conductor. This voltage is induced in the conductor due to Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction.

2. How is induced EMF different from applied EMF?

Applied EMF is the voltage that is externally applied to a circuit, such as from a battery or generator. Induced EMF, on the other hand, is created within the circuit itself due to a changing magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced EMF?

The magnitude of induced EMF is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, and the length and orientation of the conductor in the magnetic field.

4. Can induced EMF cause current to flow in a circuit?

Yes, induced EMF can cause a current to flow in a circuit. This is because an induced EMF creates a potential difference in the conductor, which can drive the flow of electrons and create a current.

5. How is induced EMF used in practical applications?

Induced EMF is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in generators and transformers. It is also utilized in technologies such as magnetic levitation and electromagnetic induction heating.