How Is the Initial Upward Acceleration of a Weather Balloon Calculated?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the initial upward acceleration of a spherical balloon with a radius of 2.5m and a mass of 15 kg when released from sea level. The equation for calculating the buoyancy force is mentioned, but there is uncertainty about whether it is the correct method. The conversation concludes with the mention of finding the terminal velocity of the balloon.
matt_crouch

Homework Statement

assume the balloon is a spherical shape whose radius is 2.5m and total mass of 15 kg

a) what is the initial upward acceleration of the balloon when it is released from sea level

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the volume of a sphere is =4/3 (pi)r3
so can calculate the volume
i know the density of the balloon is

p=m/v
and that the buoyancy is going to be greater than the weight
i reaaranged the equation and substituted m=pv into fb=ma

to get fb=pva

but i don't think this is the right way to do it
where am i going wrong and how do i finish the equation?

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
please?

i had a similar problem i solved for the force then the volume and manipulated the equation to read a=f/pv i got a reasonable answer

ye i got the answer in the end. the acceleration comes out as about 42 m/s^2 but the next part of the question was to find where it reaches terminal velocity and it reaches it at 3m/s^2

Related to How Is the Initial Upward Acceleration of a Weather Balloon Calculated?

1. What is a weather balloon problem?

A weather balloon problem refers to a common scientific experiment where a balloon is filled with helium or hydrogen gas and released into the atmosphere to collect data on weather conditions such as temperature, air pressure, and humidity. These balloons are equipped with instruments that take measurements as the balloon ascends into the atmosphere.

2. How does a weather balloon work?

A weather balloon consists of a large balloon envelope made of latex or synthetic rubber that is filled with a gas that is lighter than air, typically helium or hydrogen. The balloon is attached to a payload, which contains instruments for collecting data, and a parachute to bring the payload safely back to the ground. As the balloon ascends, the gas inside expands and eventually bursts, causing the balloon to descend back to the ground with the payload.

3. What type of data is collected from a weather balloon?

Weather balloons collect data on temperature, air pressure, humidity, wind speed and direction, and ozone levels in the atmosphere. This data is transmitted back to the ground via radio waves or stored on the payload for retrieval once it lands.

4. How high can a weather balloon go?

Weather balloons can reach heights of up to 40 km (25 miles) into the atmosphere. However, the average maximum height is usually around 30 km (18 miles) before the balloon bursts and the payload descends back to the ground.

5. What is the purpose of a weather balloon?

The main purpose of a weather balloon is to collect data on weather conditions in the upper atmosphere, which is crucial for weather forecasting and climate research. These balloons also play a role in tracking air pollution, monitoring atmospheric conditions for aviation, and studying the Earth's ozone layer.