How Is the Integral of Sin(z)/(z-pi/2)^3 Around a Loop Calculated?

In summary, the value of n is not specified and there may be an error in the application of the theorem, as the calculated integral does not match with the result given by Wolfram Alpha. Further clarification or correction may be needed.
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

Let C be a loop around [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. Find the value of [itex]\frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_C \frac{\sin(z)}{(z-\pi/2)^3} dz[/itex].

Homework Equations

Thm: If f is analytic in its simply connected domain D, and C is a simply closed positively oriented loop that lies in D, and if z lies in the inside of C, then [itex]f^{(n)}(z_0) = \frac{(n-1)!}{2 \pi i} \int_C \frac{f(w)}{(w-z_0)^n} dw[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]f(z) = \sin(z)[/itex] which is analytic for every [itex]z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex]. We can parametrize C by [itex]z(t) = e^{it}[/itex] and so C is a simply closed positively oriented curve. So I can apply my theorem to find the value of this integral. Hence:

[itex]\frac{1}{2 \pi i} \int_C \frac{\sin(z)}{(z-\pi/2)^3} dz = \frac{1}{2!} \frac{d^2}{dx^2} \sin(z) \Big|_{z=\pi/2} = -\frac{1}{2} \sin(\pi/2) = -\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

I checked my answer against Wolfram Alpha which says the integral is equal to 0! Am I applying the theorem incorrectly? I can't figure out what's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that [itex]z_0 = \pi / 2[/itex] is inside your curve [itex]z(t) = e^{it}[/itex]?

Opps! I would need to use [itex]z(t) = \pi/2 + e^{it}[/itex], but shouldn't I still be able to apply my theorem to find that the integral is equal to -1/2? Wolfram is still giving me an output of 0.

Hmm, you are right, I thought that it would give you sin(pi/2 + (pi/2 + 0)).

OK, let me try again: what is the value of n?

FAQ: How Is the Integral of Sin(z)/(z-pi/2)^3 Around a Loop Calculated?

What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is an integral that involves complex numbers, which are numbers with a real part and an imaginary part. It is used to calculate the area under a curve in the complex plane.

Why is it difficult to solve a complex integral?

Complex integrals can be difficult to solve because they involve both real and imaginary components. This means that traditional methods for solving integrals may not work, and specialized techniques such as contour integration or Cauchy's integral theorem may need to be used.

What are some common techniques for solving complex integrals?

Some common techniques for solving complex integrals include contour integration, Cauchy's integral theorem, and the residue theorem. These techniques involve using complex analysis and manipulating the complex integral into a form that is easier to solve.

What are the applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities in the complex plane. They are also used in the study of functions and their properties, as well as in the development of mathematical models for physical systems.

How can I improve my skills in solving complex integrals?

To improve your skills in solving complex integrals, it is important to have a solid understanding of complex numbers and their properties. You should also practice using different techniques for solving complex integrals and familiarize yourself with common examples and applications. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or taking a course in complex analysis can also be helpful.