How Is the Mass of the Spherical Weight Calculated for Buoyancy Equilibrium?

In summary, the question involves determining the mass of a spherical weight at the bottom of a buoy made of a sealed steel tube. The buoy floats in fresh water and the mass of the tube is given. The equation used is FB = W, where FB is the buoyant force, W is the weight of the submerged object, and V is the volume of the object. The volume of water displaced is determined using the volume of the immersed tube and the volume of the sphere. The final equation used is Vs = (Vc*ρw - 5 kg)/(ρw + ρs), where Vs is the volume of the sphere, Vc is the volume of the immersed tube, and ρw and ρs
ACE_99

Homework Statement

Suppose a buoy is made of a sealed steel tube of mass 5 kg with a diameter D = 7 cm and a length of 6 meters. At the end of the buoy is a spherical weight of galvanized steel (specific gravity=7.85). If the buoy floats in fresh water, what must be the mass of the steel M at the bottom to make the distance h=195 cm?

Homework Equations

FB = W
F = [tex]\rho[/tex]gV

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in order for this object to float the buoyant force must equal the mass of the submerged object. So

FB = Wcyl + Wsph = Wwater which is also

Vcyl[tex]\rho[/tex]sg +Vsph[tex]\rho[/tex]sg = Vwater[tex]\rho[/tex]g

This is where I get confused. In order to find the mass of the sphere I need to find its volume since I have the density, but how do I determine the volume of water displaced if I don't know the volume of the sphere. Hopefully my reasoning is correct. Any help would be great! I've also attached a copy of the picture provided.

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq12/ACE_99_photo/ps-222-1-q6-1.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mass of tube is given.
Mass of the sphere = ρs*V.
weight of the displaced liquid = (Volume of the immersed tube + Volume of the sphere)*ρw
Volume of the immersed tube = π*D^2/4*(L-h)
From these information find the volume of the sphere and then mass of the sphere.

Based on what rl.bhat stated I managed to figure out the following.

mtube + [tex]\rho[/tex]sVsph = [Vcyl sub + Vsph][tex]\rho[/tex]w

isolate for Vsph to get

Vsph = Vcyl[tex]\rho[/tex]w - 5 kg / [tex]\rho[/tex]w + [tex]\rho[/tex]w

Solving for Vsphere I get V = 0.011962 therefore making the mass 9.39 kg.

The equation should be
Vs = (Vc*ρw - 5 kg)/(ρw + ρs).
Μay be typo.

Last edited:
rl.bhat said:
The equation should be
Vs = (Vc*ρw - 5 kg)/(ρw + ρs).
Μay typo.

Ya that was just a typo. Thanks for your help

Related to How Is the Mass of the Spherical Weight Calculated for Buoyancy Equilibrium?

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid, due to the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

2. How is buoyant force calculated?

Buoyant force is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the volume of the displaced fluid. This can be represented by the equation Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect buoyant force?

The buoyant force on an object is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, the shape and depth of the object in the fluid can also impact the buoyant force.

4. How does buoyant force relate to Archimedes' principle?

Buoyant force is closely related to Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This principle helps explain why objects float or sink in a fluid.

5. What is an example of a buoyant force problem?

An example of a buoyant force problem could be calculating the buoyant force on a submarine as it dives deeper into the ocean, taking into account the change in pressure and density of the water at different depths.