How Is the Momentum of a 140eV Photon Calculated?

In summary: Planck. (you look great by the way).In summary, the momentum of a 140eV photon is approximately 7.37*10^-26 Js/m. This value was obtained using the equation p=h/λ, where h is Planck's constant and λ is the wavelength of the photon. The frequency of the photon was calculated to be approximately 3.38*10^16 Hz, and the wavelength was found to be approximately 9nm. It is important to note that photons have no rest mass, so their momentum is solely determined by their energy and wavelength.
quicksilver123

Homework Statement

Find the momentum of a 140eV photon.

Homework Equations

momentum equations

e=mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

140eV=2.24*10^-17 J

p=mv
p=(E/c^2)c
p=E/c
p=(2.24*10^-17)/(3*10^8)
p=7.466666*10^-26

Is this correct? (other than significant digits)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your derivation is little suspect since m=0. You should probably really be using E^2=(mc^2)^2+p^2*c^2. But the only problem aside from signficant digits is that you didn't put any units on it.

As it happens - yes. But don't forget to write in the units!
The actual energy-momentum relation is ##E^2=m^2c^4+p_2c^2## and photons have ##m=0##.
As Dick says, you got the right answer through the (apparently) wrong method.

Technically you can say that p=140eV/c since "eV/c" are units of momentum :)

How about this:

140eV=2.24*10^-34 J

m=E/c^2
m=2.488888889*10^-34
if a photon has no mass (even though the course asks me to find the mass of a photon several times) then how did i get this answer?
p=h/λ
mv=h/λ
mc=h/λ
λ=...

never mind. this is getting roundabout.

the course has me calculate the mass value for a photon several times. when it would ask me for the momentum of a photon, however, it would have me use the formula : p=h/λ
however, it would also supply a frequency so that i could actually calculate wavelength.

i don't know of any way to calculate wavelength in this case, so i just used the standard p=mv for a particle

Last edited:
m=E/c^2
m=2.488888889*10^-34
Nope - m=0 for a photon.
And you left off the units again.

But you are close (see post #3).
Mass is a form of energy so there is a sense in which you can attribute a total mass to a photon. It's just potentially misleading to think of it that way.
i.e. the ##m## in the relation is the rest mass. For a moving mass, the mass-energy relation is ##E=\gamma mc^2##.

p=h/λ

but to find wavelength, i'll need frequency. which i don't have.
But you do have the frequency - for a photon: ##E=hf=hc/\lambda##

quicksilver123 said:
How about this:

140eV=2.24*10^-34 J

m=E/c^2
m=2.488888889*10^-34

wait. i don't even know why i need that.

p=h/λ

but to find wavelength, i'll need frequency. which i don't have.

You were basically right the first time. E=p/c. Just put units on it! And 140eV is not 2.24*10^-34 J.

Dick said:
You were basically right the first time. E=p/c. Just put units on it! And 140eV is not 2.24*10^-34 J.

Ha, yeah. Its getting late. Its 2.24*10^-17

Simon Bridge said:
-
But you do have the frequency - for a photon: ##E=hf=hc/\lambda##

ah. haha. thank you mr Planck.

intuitively, i know that for photons, m=0
but the course doesn't teach it that way. i don't really know what's what.

E=hf
f=E/h
f=3.378582202*10^16 Hz

λ=v/f
λ=c/f
λ=0.000000009m
λ=9nm

p=h/λ
p=7.366666667*10^-26 Js/m

I don't feel right about the unit.

h is in Js and lambda is in m

quicksilver123 said:
ah. haha. thank you mr Planck.

intuitively, i know that for photons, m=0
but the course doesn't teach it that way. i don't really know what's what.

E=hf
f=E/h
f=3.378582202*10^16 Hz

λ=v/f
λ=c/f
λ=0.000000009m
λ=9nm

p=h/λ
p=7.366666667*10^-26 Js/m

I don't feel right about the unit.

h is in Js and lambda is in m

If you put all that together you just get E=pc again. J*s/m=(kg*m^2/s^2)*(s/m)=kg*m/s. That's a mass times a velocity, so sure it's a good momentum unit.

thanks

Related to How Is the Momentum of a 140eV Photon Calculated?

1. What is the momentum of a 140eV photon?

The momentum of a 140eV photon can be calculated using the formula p = E/c, where p is the momentum in kgm/s, E is the energy in joules, and c is the speed of light in m/s. Plugging in the values, we get p = (140 x 1.6 x 10^-19 J) / (3 x 10^8 m/s) = 4.67 x 10^-27 kgm/s.

2. How does the momentum of a 140eV photon compare to other particles?

The momentum of a 140eV photon is relatively small compared to other particles. For example, an electron with the same energy has a momentum of about 9.3 x 10^-24 kgm/s, which is about 200,000 times greater than that of the photon.

3. Can the momentum of a 140eV photon be changed?

Yes, the momentum of a 140eV photon can be changed through interactions with other particles or through processes such as scattering or absorption. However, the total momentum of the system must remain constant, as dictated by the law of conservation of momentum.

4. How does the momentum of a 140eV photon affect its behavior?

The momentum of a 140eV photon is directly related to its wavelength and frequency. Photons with higher momentum have shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies, and vice versa. This affects the behavior of the photon, such as how it interacts with matter and how it travels through space.

5. Why is the momentum of a 140eV photon important in physics?

The momentum of a 140eV photon is important in physics because it is a fundamental property of particles and is essential for understanding their behavior and interactions. It also plays a crucial role in various phenomena, such as the photoelectric effect and the emission of light from atoms and molecules.