How Is the Pivot Distance Calculated in a Physical Pendulum?

In summary: The moment of inertia of the meter stick can be calculated as 1/12 * m * L^2, where m is the mass of the meter stick and L is the length of the stick. Therefore, the center of mass would be located at a distance of 25 cm from the fulcrum. So, in summary, to find d, we can use the equation T = 2pi * sqrt (I/mgL) and plug in the known values for T, I, m, and g, and solve for d.
sophzilla
"A physical pendulum consists of a meter stick that is pivoted at a small hole drilled through the stick a distance d from the 50 cm mark. The period of oscillation is 5.27 s. Find d."

I know that the period for a physical pendulum is T = 2pi * sqrt (I/mgL).

I'm really stuck on how to start out this one. Should I define the center of mass first? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
sophzilla said:
"A physical pendulum consists of a meter stick that is pivoted at a small hole drilled through the stick a distance d from the 50 cm mark. The period of oscillation is 5.27 s. Find d."

I know that the period for a physical pendulum is T = 2pi * sqrt (I/mgL).

I'm really stuck on how to start out this one. Should I define the center of mass first? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
What is the mass in the pendulum? Can you treat the mass as a point mass located some distance from the fulcrum? If so, where would it be? (Hint: what is the moment of inertia of the metre stick?. I think you are to ignore the width of the metre stick).

AM

Greetings, fellow scientist. To answer your question, yes, it would be helpful to define the center of mass first. The center of mass for a meter stick is located at the 50 cm mark, since the mass is evenly distributed along the stick.

To find the distance d, we can use the equation for period and rearrange it to solve for d. The equation becomes d = (T/2pi)^2 * m * g * L / I.

To find the moment of inertia (I) for a meter stick, we can use the equation I = (1/12) * m * L^2, where m is the mass of the meter stick and L is its length.

Plugging in the given values, we get d = (5.27 s / 2pi)^2 * 1 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * 1 m / ((1/12) * 1 kg * 1 m^2). This gives us a value of d = 0.458 m.

Therefore, the distance d from the 50 cm mark to the pivot point is approximately 0.458 m. I hope this helps in your calculations. Keep up the good work in your scientific pursuits!

Related to How Is the Pivot Distance Calculated in a Physical Pendulum?

What is a physical pendulum period?

A physical pendulum period is the time it takes for a physical pendulum to complete one full swing or oscillation.

How is the physical pendulum period calculated?

The physical pendulum period can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass.

What factors affect the physical pendulum period?

The physical pendulum period can be affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass distribution of the pendulum, and the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the physical pendulum period differ from the simple pendulum period?

The physical pendulum period takes into account the mass distribution of the pendulum, while the simple pendulum period assumes that all the mass is concentrated at one point. The physical pendulum period is also affected by the moment of inertia, while the simple pendulum period is not.

What is the significance of the physical pendulum period?

The physical pendulum period is important in understanding the behavior of physical pendulums, which are found in many systems and devices, such as clocks, seismometers, and amusement park rides. It also has applications in physics and engineering.