How is the quakelib package structured in this software?

• Python
  • Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
In summary, The structure of the software being discussed involves importing a package named quakelib from a file located in a different directory than the one it is being imported into. This poses a problem as a directory should contain a __init__.py file directly under it to be considered a package. Additionally, the quakelib directory contains a __init__.py inside its python subdirectory, which is not the standard structure. The software also uses SWIG to build an interface to a C library, and the linux environment has the LD_LIB_PATH set to indicate where shared libs are located.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm trying to understand the structure of this software. If you look at the file vq/PyVQ/pyvq/pyvq.py, you can see that a package named quakelib is imported. I call it a package because I couldn't find a quakelib.py file, and there was just a quakelib directory. But a directory should contain a __init__.py file directly under it to be a package. Instead, quakelib has a __init__.py inside its python subdirectory. So how is this a package?
Another problem is that the quakelib directory is not in the same directory as the pyvq.py that imports it. So how can it import quakelib?
Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Yeah, I've read python docs, not that particular page though. But it didn't help. I also couldn't find the corresponding page for python 2.7.
Could you take a look at the link I gave in the OP?

Likes ShayanJ

Related to How is the quakelib package structured in this software?

1. What are packages in the context of science?

Packages in science refer to a set of tools or resources that are used to perform a specific task or analysis. These packages may include software programs, data sets, or experimental protocols.

2. How are packages created?

Packages are created by scientists or software developers who have expertise in a particular area of science. They may write code, compile data, or document procedures to create a package that can be used by others in their research.

3. What is the purpose of using packages in science?

Packages are used in science to streamline and standardize processes, increase efficiency, and promote reproducibility. They allow scientists to easily access and use a set of tools or resources without having to create them from scratch.

4. Can packages be shared and used by others?

Yes, packages are often shared and used by other scientists. They can be shared through online repositories or databases, where they can be downloaded and used by anyone in the scientific community.

5. Are there any limitations to using packages in science?

While packages can be extremely useful, they may have limitations depending on the specific tools and resources included. Some packages may only be compatible with certain software or operating systems, and others may require specialized knowledge to use effectively.