How Is the Rate of Mass Loss from the Sun Estimated Using Solar Wind Data?

• Thread starter AStaunton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Luminosity
In summary, the conversation is about estimating the rate of mass loss from the sun, assuming spherical symmetry. The given information includes the measured velocity of the solar wind at the Earth (400km/s) and the proton density of the wind (7 particles/cm^3). The solution involves finding the proton flux, the surface area of the relevant sphere, and the total number of protons passing through the surface. This is then converted to mass and compared to the mass of the sun to determine the mass lost per year, which is approximately 2.0757*10^-14 solar masses. The question also mentions the possibility of using the Eddington Luminosity, but this was not necessary in the final solution. It is safe to
AStaunton
Hi there

Problem is:

Assuming spherical Symmetry, estimate the rate of mass loss from the sun, if at the Earth, the measured velocity of the solar wind is 400km/s and the proton density of the wind is roughly 7 particles/cm^3. Give your answer in solar Masses per year.

My attempted solution:

as proton density is 7particles per cm^3 this equals 7*10^6 particles per m^3.
as the speed is 400km per sec this is 4*10^5m per sec

multiply these values to get proton flux:
(7*10^6)*(4*10^5)=2.8*10^12protons m^-2 s^-1

find the surface area of the relevant sphere, this will have radius of 1AU as this flux is measured at the Earth:

A=4*3.14*(1.49598*10^11)^2=2.810873*10^23m^2

now we can find the total protons passing through the entire surface and of course this equals total protons leaving the sun:

(2.810873*10^23)*(2.8*10^12)=7.87044*10^35 protons s^-1

convert this to kg per second:

say proton mass= 1.6727*10^-27kg

so (7.87044*10^35)*(1.627*10^-27)=1316409794kg s^-1

convert to kg per year:

31536000 seconds per year so:

1316409794*31536000=4.151429928*10^16kg per year

find what fraction this mass is of the mass of sun:

(4.151429928*10^16)/(2*10^30)=2.0757*10^-14

so that means mass lost per year this way is (2.0757*10^-14)solarmasses per year.

When I first read this question, I thought it would involve some calculations regarding the Eddington Luminosity as this is what governs how much mass is blown away...however, the final method that I used did not need that, so can someone please confirm that I did not miss anything or over simplify?

Also, the question speaks of protons in the solar wind, is it safe to assume (as I did in the solution) that these are the only particles blown away?

Any feedback appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please note, I accidently posted two identical threads...only one of them is necessary!

Related to How Is the Rate of Mass Loss from the Sun Estimated Using Solar Wind Data?

1. What is the Eddington Luminosity?

The Eddington Luminosity refers to the maximum amount of luminosity that a star can emit before the outward pressure of radiation exceeds the inward force of gravity, causing the star to become unstable.

2. How is the Eddington Luminosity calculated?

The Eddington Luminosity is calculated using the Eddington Limit formula, which takes into account the mass, radius, and luminosity of a star. It is expressed as L = 4πGMm-1, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the star, and m is the mean molecular weight of the gas in the star's atmosphere.

3. What factors can affect the Eddington Luminosity of a star?

The Eddington Luminosity can be affected by the mass and composition of the star, as well as its rate of nuclear fusion and the amount of radiation it emits. Other factors such as rotation, magnetic fields, and the presence of a companion star can also play a role.

4. How does the Eddington Luminosity impact the evolution of a star?

The Eddington Luminosity plays a crucial role in the evolution of a star. When a star reaches its Eddington Limit, it can cause instabilities and trigger events such as supernovae or stellar winds. It also determines the maximum mass that a star can have before it collapses into a black hole.

5. Is the Eddington Luminosity the same for all stars?

No, the Eddington Luminosity can vary greatly between different stars depending on their mass, composition, and other factors. It can also change over the course of a star's lifetime as it evolves and undergoes different stages of fusion. Additionally, different types of stars, such as white dwarfs and neutron stars, have different Eddington Luminosity values.