How Is the Resultant Force on a Car Calculated?

• Thread starter anteaters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Force
In summary, a 1040 kg car is pulling a 300 kg trailer with an acceleration of 2.11 m/s2. To find the resultant force exerted by the car on the road and its direction, the magnitude was calculated using the equation F=ma and the forces were represented on a free body diagram. The resultant force was found to be 10425 and the angle of its direction was calculated to be 12.15 degrees. To find the horizontal component (friction force), it must be taken into account that it accelerates the entire system of both car and trailer.
anteaters

Homework Statement

A 1040 kg car is pulling a 300 kg trailer. Together the car and trailer move forward with an acceleration of 2.11 m/s2. Ignore any frictional force of air drag on the car and all frictional forces on the trailer. What is the resultant force exerted by the car on the road and in what direction (measured from the left of vertically downwards)?

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found the magnitude by making a free body diagram with the acceleration of the car going on the negative x axis, and the weight of the car on the negative y axis. then, i squared the values of the force in the y direction and x direction, added them together and took the square root of that, finding the force to be 10425. so now i tried doing the sin-1 of x component/y component and got theta to be 12.15 degrees.

i attached a paint version of my free body diagram. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• asdf.bmp
    235.4 KB · Views: 560
Physics news on Phys.org
Recalculate the horizontal component (the friction force). Realize that the friction force must accelerate the entire system of both car and trailer.

I would like to point out that the calculation for the resultant force exerted by the car on the road is correct. However, it is important to also consider the direction of the force, which is measured from the left of vertically downwards. This means that the angle calculated, 12.15 degrees, should be subtracted from 90 degrees to get the correct direction, which is 77.85 degrees from the left of vertically downwards. Additionally, it is important to note that the force is exerted by the car on the road, not the other way around. This means that the force is directed downwards and to the left, as shown in the free body diagram.

I would like to commend your approach in using a free body diagram and applying the equation F=ma to solve for the resultant force exerted by the car on the road. Your method is correct and your solution of 10425 N is also correct.

However, I would like to point out that the direction of the resultant force can be represented by the angle θ in your diagram, but it is not necessary to use the sine function to calculate it. The angle can also be determined by using the inverse tangent function (tan^-1) with the x and y components of the force. In this case, the angle would be 2.11 m/s^2 divided by 10425 N, which results in approximately 0.12 degrees. This is a very small angle and indicates that the resultant force is almost entirely in the horizontal direction, with a very small vertical component.

In addition, I would like to mention that the force exerted by the car on the road is the same as the force exerted by the road on the car, as stated in Newton's third law of motion. Therefore, the resultant force in this case is also the force exerted by the road on the car, and it is directed in the opposite direction of the car's motion.

I hope this helps clarify your solution and understanding of the concept of forces in this scenario. Keep up the good work in using scientific methods to solve problems!

Related to How Is the Resultant Force on a Car Calculated?

What is the force of a car on the road?

The force of a car on the road is the amount of physical energy that the car exerts on the surface of the road. This force is necessary for the car to move forward and overcome the friction between the tires and the road.

How is the force of a car on the road calculated?

The force of a car on the road is calculated by multiplying the car's mass by its acceleration. This is known as Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration (F=ma).

What factors affect the force of a car on the road?

The force of a car on the road is affected by several factors, including the weight of the car, the speed at which it is traveling, and the condition of the road surface. Other factors such as air resistance and the gradient of the road can also impact the force.

How does the force of a car on the road change during braking?

During braking, the force of a car on the road changes as the car's deceleration increases. This is because the car's mass remains the same, but its velocity decreases, resulting in a larger force being exerted on the road surface.

What is the significance of the force of a car on the road?

The force of a car on the road is significant because it determines the car's ability to move forward and maintain control on the road. It also plays a role in the wear and tear of the car's tires and the overall efficiency of the vehicle.