How is the unit of quantum space time (given) a value

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy and its relationship to the unit of quantum spacetime. The participants also consider the possibility of an upper limit on the amount of energy a single particle can have and the implications of this limit. They also question the idea of traversing a Planck length in a given time and the role of time in the theory of spacetime. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity and ongoing exploration of fundamental questions about quantum spacetime and matter.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Is it energy? how is the unit of quantum space time (given) a value, so it can multiply several times over, is there a limit when the (energy) will be exhausted ?

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Is it energy? how is the unit of quantum space time (given) a value, so it can multiply several times over, is there a limit when the (energy) will be exhausted ?

one always needs to point out (even though you and I know this well) that these very fundamental questions are not yet answerable because there is not yet a complete theory of quantum spacetime and matter

but my feeling is that there will be a theory that will be properly completed and checked out so that one can accord it some credibility

and it will probably have a built in UPPER LIMIT on the amount of energy which a single particle can have

and this limit will be roughly on the order of 2 billion joules WHICH IS ENOUGH TO FILL THE PETROL TANK OF YOUR CAR and drive 100 miles or so with. actual mileage may vary, since this is just an order of magnitude estimate------our gracious dame Nereid calls it an OOM estimate.

a single particle carrying that much whallop is quite inconceivable to me, but if there were one then it would have a quantum WAVELENGTH (giving a fuzzy idea of localizing it in space) equal to the PLANCK LENGTH

this is the fractious recalcitrance of nature which fiercely resists being pinned down----you only can clamp a particle wavelength down by increasing its energy-----or else give up and change to a different particle with higher energy and shorter wavelength.

Maybe this upper limit on the energy of particles is not what you asked.

Maybe you are thinking of some upper limit on the combined energy of BUNCHES of particles. Except for accidentally getting so much together in a small space that they collapse to make a hole, I don't know of any upper limit.

=========
always fun thinking about questions you ask wolram, even if often can't give a satisfactory answer

Last edited:
But Marcus ,these oscilations can not excede c and can not be less than
the hubble, so they (must ) be betwicx these two values ?

wolram said:
Can you talk about transversing a Planck length in a giving time? How can you transverse a quantum of something, either it is one or the other, one side or the other side of the Planck length in no time at all, right?

wolram said:

wolram if you completely stump me then I will just have to be quiet and wait for some passerby to tell us the answer

[edit] Ah, Mike2 appeared I see.

Mike2 said:
Can you talk about transversing a Planck length in a giving time? How can you transverse a quantum of something, either it is one or the other, one side or the other side of the Planck length in no time at all, right?
sorry Mike but no time at all makes no sense. Spacetime inferses time, as a part of the theory so how can you negate one part of it

wolram said:
sorry Mike but no time at all makes no sense. Spacetime inferses time, as a part of the theory so how can you negate one part of it
Sorry, I was thinking of space only. Maybe you're right, chunks of spacetime would include a chunck of time.

But now I'm not sure, ... the Planck length ... that's not the measure of quantized space (only)?

Related to How is the unit of quantum space time (given) a value

1. What is the unit of quantum space time?

The unit of quantum space time is a measurement of the smallest possible unit of space and time that can exist within the framework of quantum mechanics. It is also known as the Planck scale and is equal to approximately 1.6 x 10^-35 meters in length and 5.4 x 10^-44 seconds in time.

2. How is the value of the unit of quantum space time determined?

The value of the unit of quantum space time is determined by the fundamental constants of nature, such as the speed of light, Planck's constant, and the gravitational constant. These constants are considered to be universal and unchanging, and they play a crucial role in the structure of quantum space time.

3. Why is the unit of quantum space time important?

The unit of quantum space time is important because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of the universe at a microscopic level. It also plays a significant role in theories of quantum gravity and attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature.

4. Can the unit of quantum space time be observed or measured?

No, the unit of quantum space time is currently beyond our technological capabilities to observe or measure directly. However, its existence is supported by various theories and experiments in quantum mechanics, particle physics, and cosmology.

5. Is the value of the unit of quantum space time constant or can it change?

According to current theories, the value of the unit of quantum space time is considered to be constant and unchanging. However, some theories, such as loop quantum gravity, suggest that the unit of quantum space time may fluctuate at the smallest scales of space and time.