How is the Universe Expanding?

In summary, Alonzo is wondering about the expanding or stretching universe and questions if the universe is expanding into something or if it is just stationary and the space between celestial bodies is slowly moving. The conversation also touches on Einstein's theory of general relativity and the possibility of space bending and stretching. However, the expansion of space does not affect small scale structures and this type of question would be better suited for the cosmology section of the forum. Additionally, it is advised to study generally accepted models before posting personal theories.
Alonzo.nieves
Hello all. I'm quite new to this forum. I was wondering about the expanding or stretching universe. Can someone please tell me if my thoughts are correct and if not please correct me.

The expanding universe. A common definition of the universe is everything. But if the universe is expanding it has to be expanding into something. Expanding into a larger universe maybe? But I believe that a more accurate description of the universe is stretching. You can see the universe as a collection of galaxies a certain amount away from each other. A theory I have developed is that maybe the universe is just stationery. But as time passes the space between each galaxy and celestial bodies slowly move away, this shows the stretching of the galaxy. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity we have to think of space as a much more complex entity not just a vast amount of nothingness. Incorporating his theories of general relativity space should be capable of "bending" and "stretching".

If the space between celestial bodies are moving then what about the atoms, the building blocks of all matter. Maybe the spaces between them too are moving apart from each other. Or maybe its just the larger objects. Is the universe really powerful enough to rip the very fabric of everything we know into nothing? Does anyone know any recent research on this?

Space news on Phys.org
Hi Alonzo, welcome to PF.

Alonzo.nieves said:
The expanding universe. A common definition of the universe is everything. But if the universe is expanding it has to be expanding into something. Expanding into a larger universe maybe? But I believe that a more accurate description of the universe is stretching. You can see the universe as a collection of galaxies a certain amount away from each other. A theory I have developed is that maybe the universe is just stationery. But as time passes the space between each galaxy and celestial bodies slowly move away, this shows the stretching of the galaxy. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity we have to think of space as a much more complex entity not just a vast amount of nothingness. Incorporating his theories of general relativity space should be capable of "bending" and "stretching".
No, it doesn't have to expand into something else. What you describe as "stretching" is actually what the expansion is. You might not like the name, but that's how it's used in cosmology. The actual theories are expressed mathematically, and what anybody calls the results is just a matter of semantics.

Alonzo.nieves said:
If the space between celestial bodies are moving then what about the atoms, the building blocks of all matter. Maybe the spaces between them too are moving apart from each other. Or maybe its just the larger objects. Is the universe really powerful enough to rip the very fabric of everything we know into nothing? Does anyone know any recent research on this?
Expansion of space does not affect small scale structures(up to and including galaxies). They're held together too strongly by their gravity.

This type of questions would fit better in the cosmology section of the forum. There's a bunch of sticky threads in there that you might find interesting, inluding the FAQ. A forum search might net you a few interesting threads tackling the very same questions you asked.

Thank you for that. Next time I will post in the Cosomology section. By the way I'm quite new to this here, I just started High School.

Last edited:
You can see the universe as a collection of galaxies a certain amount away from each other.

This sounds like the observable universe...the tiny part we can observe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe

A theory I have developed is that maybe the universe is just stationery. But as time passes the space between each galaxy and celestial bodies slowly move away, this shows the stretching of the galaxy.

How do you define 'stationary'.

Be careful about posting personal theories here. Not allowed. Much better to study generally accepted models first and then ask questions about those if there are parts you don't understand.

In the most popular cosmological model, the 'FRW lambda cdm cosmological model', distances over intergalactic distances expand over time...but the movement at increasingly large distances is not 'slow'.

overview here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda-CDM_model

and as already noted, lots of prior discussions available in these forums...

I can tell you that your thoughts are on the right track, but there are still some misunderstandings that need to be corrected. First, it is important to understand that the universe is expanding in all directions, not just into a larger universe. This means that the space between all objects, including galaxies and atoms, is increasing. It is not just the larger objects that are moving apart, but everything is moving apart from everything else.

Secondly, the universe is not stretching like a rubber band, as your theory suggests. Instead, it is the space itself that is expanding. This means that the distance between objects is increasing, but the objects themselves are not physically stretching.

You are correct in incorporating Einstein's theory of general relativity, as it plays a crucial role in understanding the expansion of the universe. According to this theory, space can indeed bend and stretch, and this is what is happening as the universe expands.

As for the question about the universe being powerful enough to rip everything apart, the answer is no. The expansion of the universe is a slow and gradual process, and it is not tearing apart the fabric of everything we know. In fact, it is a natural and necessary part of the evolution of the universe.

There is ongoing research and study into the expansion of the universe, and there are still many unanswered questions. But we have a solid understanding of the basics of how the universe is expanding, thanks to scientific observations and theories like general relativity.

I hope this helps clarify some of your thoughts and questions about the expanding universe. Keep exploring and learning about this fascinating topic!

Related to How is the Universe Expanding?

What is the Expanding Universe Theory?

The Expanding Universe Theory is a scientific theory that states that the universe is constantly expanding and getting larger. This means that the distance between galaxies, stars, and other celestial objects is increasing over time.

What evidence supports the Expanding Universe Theory?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the Expanding Universe Theory. One of the key pieces of evidence is the observation that distant galaxies appear to be moving away from us at a faster rate than nearby galaxies. This is known as the Hubble-Lemaître Law. Another piece of evidence is the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is believed to be leftover radiation from the Big Bang.

How does the Expanding Universe Theory relate to the Big Bang Theory?

The Expanding Universe Theory is closely related to the Big Bang Theory. According to the Big Bang Theory, the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. The Expanding Universe Theory provides evidence for the Big Bang Theory and helps to explain the current state of the universe.

What is dark energy and how does it contribute to the expansion of the universe?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. It is thought to make up about 68% of the total energy in the universe. While its exact nature is still a mystery, scientists believe that dark energy is causing space itself to expand at an increasing rate.

Can the expansion of the universe ever slow down or reverse?

Based on current observations and theories, it is unlikely that the expansion of the universe will slow down or reverse. In fact, it is predicted that the expansion will continue to accelerate due to the presence of dark energy. However, there are still many unknowns about the universe, and scientists continue to study and explore the possibility of a reversal or change in the expansion of the universe.