How is this formula for the surface derived?

In summary, the conversation discussed the relevance of thickness in the inner surface of a sphere and how it affects the surface area of the cut surface. It was also mentioned that for a sphere with an infinitely thin wall, the inner and outer surface areas are equal.
musicgold
Homework Statement
This is not a homework problem. I am struggling with a formula for the inner area of semicircular sphere, mentioned in a book
Relevant Equations
Area = ## 2 \pi . r . t ##

where, r is the radius of the sphere and t is the thickness of its wall.
The formula is shown at the bootom of picture 1.
The pages shown in the pictures are from an engineering book. I am not sure how the thickness of sphere plays a role in the inner surface of the sphere. I know that the surface area of sphere is ##4 \pi r^2 ## .

Picture 2 shows how that formula plays a role in understanding the stress expereinced by the sphere. I am not sure how the thickness, t, of the sphere wall is relevant here.

Thanks

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 136
Physics news on Phys.org
The ##2\pi rt## is the area of the cut surface, according to the text. A ring with radius ##r## and width ##t##.

Likes musicgold
musicgold said:
I am not sure how the thickness, t, of the sphere wall is relevant here.
As @BvU already said, they're talking about the area of the cut surface.

Furthermore, the area they give is only approximately correct, and is assuming that the thickness t is small in comparison to the radius r.

The actual area of the cut surface is ##\pi r^2 - \pi(r - t)^2 = \pi(r^2 - r^2 - 2rt + t^2) = 2\pi rt - \pi t^2##
If ##t << r##, the term ##\pi t^2## won't subtract much from the first term.

Likes hutchphd and musicgold
Mark44 said:
Furthermore, the area they give is only approximately correct, and is assuming that the thickness t is small in comparison to the radius r.
The actual area of the cut surface is ##\pi r^2 - \pi(r - t)^2 = \pi(r^2 - r^2 - 2rt + t^2) = 2\pi rt - \pi t^2##
If ##t << r##, the term ##\pi t^2## won't subtract much from the first term.

Oh, now I get it! Thanks.

Also, I have a a follow up question.

Is it fair to assume that for a sphere with an infinitely thin wall, the inner surface area is equal to the outer surface area?

musicgold said:
Is it fair to assume that for a sphere with an infinitely thin wall, the inner surface area is equal to the outer surface area?

Yes.

Although if you're taking the "infinitesimal limit" as in some calculus proof, it won't perfectly cancel and you'll end up with a little differential term which goes to zero in the case that is is literally zero thickness.

Likes musicgold
The outer and inner surface areas of a shell of outer radius ##R## and inner radius ##(R-t)## are$$A_{outer}=4\pi R^2~;~~~A_{inner}=4\pi (R-t)^2=A_{outer}\left(1-\frac{2t}{R}+\frac{t^2}{R^2}\right).$$ The expression for ##A_{inner}## is exact. You can ignore the quadratic term or both quadratic and linear terms depending on how small the ratio ##t/R## is relative to ##1##.

Likes musicgold

Related to How is this formula for the surface derived?

1. How is the surface formula derived?

The surface formula is derived using mathematical principles and equations that relate to the geometric properties of a surface. It involves calculating the area of a shape or object, which can be done using various methods such as integration, differentiation, or geometric formulas.

2. What factors are considered in deriving the surface formula?

The factors that are considered in deriving the surface formula include the shape and dimensions of the surface, the type of material it is made of, and any external forces or conditions that may affect its surface area.

3. Can the surface formula be applied to all types of surfaces?

Yes, the surface formula can be applied to all types of surfaces, including flat, curved, and irregular surfaces. However, the method used to derive the formula may vary depending on the shape and properties of the surface.

4. How accurate is the surface formula?

The accuracy of the surface formula depends on the accuracy of the measurements and data used in the derivation process. If the measurements are precise and the formula is derived correctly, then the surface formula can be considered highly accurate.

5. Are there any limitations to the surface formula?

The surface formula may have limitations when applied to certain surfaces that have complex shapes or irregularities. In such cases, the formula may need to be adjusted or alternative methods may need to be used to calculate the surface area accurately.