How is this gravity question wrong?

• Thread starter neutron star
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem regarding the distance a baseball will drop due to the effects of gravity when thrown horizontally at 86.0 mi/h towards home plate. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem using kinematic equations for an object in freefall, but the correct answer is not found.
neutron star

Homework Statement

While trying out for the position of pitcher on your high school baseball team, you throw a fastball at 86.0 mi/h toward home plate, which is 18.4 m away. How far does the ball drop due to effects of gravity by the time it reaches home plate? (Ignore any effects due to air resistance and assume you throw the ball horizontally.)
____m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

86 miles per hour = 38.44544 meters/second
18.4 meters / 38.44544 meters.second =0.4786 seconds
0.4786 seconds x 9.81 = 4.695 meters

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your units on the last equation? That should immediately tell you you are wrong.

Use your kinematic equations for an object in freefall.

[tex]\[
y = y_0 + v_{0y} t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

Ok I did:

y=0+38.445(0.478)+1/2(9.81)(0.478)[tex]^2[/tex]
It said my answer was wrong.

Then I did 0+0+1/2(9.81)(0.478)[tex]^2[/tex]
Still said it was wrong.

:(

And it said that answer was wrong, my last available attempt :(

1] What answer did you get? How are we suppsoed to help you if you don't tell us what you're done?

2] Forget the numbers. How are you thinking through this problem?

FAQ: How is this gravity question wrong?

1. What is the correct way to understand gravity?

The correct way to understand gravity is through the theory of general relativity, which states that gravity is the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. Can gravity be turned off or on?

No, gravity is a fundamental force in the universe and cannot be turned off or on. However, its effects can be counteracted by other forces, such as electromagnetism.

3. Why do objects of different weights fall at the same rate?

According to the theory of gravity, all objects with mass are affected by the same gravitational force, regardless of their weight. Therefore, they will fall at the same rate in a vacuum.

4. How does gravity work on a cosmic scale?

Gravity works on a cosmic scale by creating a force between all objects with mass. This force is what holds planets in orbit around stars, and stars in orbit around galaxies.

5. Can gravity be stronger or weaker in different parts of the world?

Yes, the strength of gravity can vary slightly in different parts of the world due to differences in the distribution of mass and altitude. However, these variations are very small and not noticeable to humans.

Back