How is this proof finished? I was told it is proven

• Thread starter AcousticBruce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a conjecture that the product of four consecutive natural numbers cannot be the square of an integer. The proof involves showing that adding 1 to the product always results in a square number. However, the gap between consecutive square numbers makes it impossible for the product to be a perfect square. A test case is suggested to further prove this point.
AcousticBruce
Prove that the product of four consecutive natural numbers cannot be the square of an integer.

So let n be a natural number. So f(n) = n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)

n --- 1 --- 2 --- 3 --- 4 --- 5 --- 10
f(n)-24--120-360-840-1080-17160

The conjecture I want to prove is F(n) + 1 is always a square.

n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3) = (n2+3n)(n2+3n+1)

so

[(n2+3n-1)+1)][(n2+3n+1)-1]+1

and because a2-b2 = (a+b)(a-b)

[(n2+3n+1)2-1)+1] = (n2+3n)2

So this proves that f(n) + 1 is in fact a square.

My question is how does this prove that f(n) is NOT a square? I mean it seems obvious, but I am trying to learn to prove things.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Think about the size of the gap between consecutive square numbers.

This is exactly what a friends said. The size gap. Ill think on this the rest of the day and see if I can find why that matters. Thanks.

Just try a test case: what's the gap between x2 and (x-1)2?

By the way, n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3) = (n2+3n)(n2+3n+2), so f(n)+1 = (n^2+3n+1)^2
The argument is correct, however.

FAQ: How is this proof finished? I was told it is proven

1. What exactly does it mean for a proof to be "finished"?

For a proof to be considered finished, all steps and logical reasoning must be clearly laid out and supported by evidence. It must also be free from any errors or contradictions.

2. How do you know when a proof is truly "proven"?

A proof is considered proven when it has been extensively reviewed and analyzed by experts in the field and has withstood scrutiny and criticism. It must also be consistent with existing knowledge and theories.

3. Can a proof ever be considered 100% complete and infallible?

No, it is impossible for a proof to be deemed completely infallible. As new information and technology become available, our understanding of the world may change, and what was once considered a solid proof may be disproven or revised.

4. What happens if a mistake is found in a proof that has already been accepted as "proven"?

If a mistake is found in a proof that has been accepted as proven, it must be re-evaluated and corrected. This can sometimes lead to a major shift in our understanding of a particular concept or theory.

5. How can I be sure that I understand a proof correctly?

To ensure understanding, it is important to carefully read and analyze each step of the proof, consult with experts in the field, and compare it to other existing proofs and theories. It is also helpful to actively question and critically evaluate the proof's logic and evidence.