How Is Torque Calculated on a Diving Board?

In summary, torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate, such as a diving board. The longer the diving board, the greater the distance from the point of rotation, increasing the torque. The fulcrum, which is the point of rotation, also plays a role in determining the torque. The weight of the diver also affects the torque, with a heavier diver creating more torque. The torque of a diving board can be changed by adjusting the force applied, the distance from the point of rotation, or the weight of the diver.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

Calculate the torque (magnitude and direction) about the front support post (B) of a diving board , exerted by a 60 kg person 3.0 m from that post. See picture.

Homework Equations

τ = Fr

The Attempt at a Solution

τ clockwise = τ counterclockwise

(60 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(4.0 m) = τ counterclockwise

I used "A" as the origin. Did I approach this incorrectly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They asked you to compute the torque around point B.

Also, you just need to compute the torque due to the person

Oh I see. By using 4.0 m I considered the torque around point A.

(60 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(3.0 m) ≈ 1800 N * m

Seems okay

I can confirm that your approach to solving this problem is correct. You have correctly applied the equation for torque, which states that the clockwise torque must be equal to the counterclockwise torque in order for the object to be in rotational equilibrium. Using the given information, you have correctly calculated the clockwise torque exerted by the person on the diving board and set it equal to the counterclockwise torque exerted by the diving board on the person. Your choice of "A" as the origin is also appropriate, as it allows you to calculate the distance from the front support post (B) to the point of application of the force (the person) as 4.0 m. Great job!

Related to How Is Torque Calculated on a Diving Board?

1. What is torque in relation to a diving board?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate, in this case, the diving board. It is a combination of the force applied and the distance from the point of rotation.

2. How does the length of a diving board affect the torque?

The longer the diving board, the greater the distance from the point of rotation. This increases the torque, making the board more difficult to rotate.

3. What role does the fulcrum play in determining the torque of a diving board?

The fulcrum is the point of rotation for the diving board. The closer the force is applied to the fulcrum, the less torque is produced. The farther the force is applied from the fulcrum, the greater the torque.

4. How does the weight of the diver affect the torque of the diving board?

The weight of the diver is a force that is applied to the diving board. The heavier the diver, the greater the force and thus the greater the torque. This can make the board more difficult to rotate.

5. Can the torque of a diving board be changed?

Yes, the torque of a diving board can be changed by adjusting the force applied, the distance from the point of rotation, or the weight of the diver. By changing these variables, the torque can be increased or decreased.