How Is Work Calculated on a Mass on a Frictionless Track?

In summary, a 3.0 kg body at rest on a frictionless horizontal air track experiences a constant horizontal force that is applied in the positive direction of the x-axis. A stroboscopic graph of the body's position is recorded at 0.50 s intervals, starting at t = 0 when the force is applied. Using kinematical equations, it is found that the body experiences an acceleration of 0.4 m/s^2 and a final velocity of 0.8 m/s. The work done on the body by the applied force between t = 0 and t = 2.0 s is 0.96 J.
lemonpie

Homework Statement

A 3.0 kg body is at rest on a frictionless horizontal air track when a constant horizontal force acting in the positive direction of an x-axis along the track is applied to the body. A stroboscopic graph of the position of the body as it slides to the right is shown in Figure 7-26. The force is applied to the body at t = 0, and the graph records the position of the body at 0.50 s intervals. How much work is done on the body by the applied force between t = 0 and t = 2.0 s?
http://www.lowellphysics.org/beta/Textbook%20Resources/Chapter%207.%20Kinetic%20Energy%20and%20Work/Problems/c07x7_11.xform_files/nw0308-n.gif

Homework Equations

um... v = x/t, a = v/t, F = ma, W = Fd?

The Attempt at a Solution

delta v = x/t = 0.8/2 = 0.4 m/s
delta a = v/t = 0.4/2 = 0.2 m/s^2
F = ma = 3*0.2 = 0.6 N
W = Fd = 0.6*0.8 = 0.48 J

This is not the correct answer. The correct answer is 0.96 J, twice my answer. What am I doing wrong? Please help me. This is not an assigned problem for points; it's just to help me understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that the force is constant. What does that tell you about acceleration? Once you figure that out, then determine which of the other kinematical variables that you know, and which ones you do not know, from the list: ti, tf, xi, xf, vi, vf. From this, and what you determine about the acceleration, you should be able to pick the appropriate kinematical equation.

turin said:
You know that the force is constant. What does that tell you about acceleration?
I think it tells me... that the acceleration is also constant. Should it tell me something else?

As for the variables:
ti = 0 s
tf = 2 s
xi = 0 m
xf = 0.8 m
vi = ?
vf = ?

I suppose if the acceleration is constant... then I can use those formulas in the beginning of the book... but I don't feel like that helps me, because all of those formulas seem to require vi or a, neither of which I have. Oh wait, vi = 0. So in that case...

vi = 0 m/s

xf - xi = 1/2(vi + v)t
0.8 = 1/2(2)v
v = 0.8 m/s

Then

v = vi + at
0.8 = 2a
a = 0.4 m/s^2

Then

F = ma
F = 3(0.4) = 12 N

Then

W = Fd
W = 12(0.8) = 0.96 J

Awesome! Thanks! I wonder why I couldn't just use the v = x/t... oh well. Thanks again!

lemonpie said:
I wonder why I couldn't just use the v = x/t...
Because v is not constant. That equation is only valid for constant (or average) speed.

BTW, there may have been a more direct approach (i.e. single kinematical equation), but I don't know what is in your book. Anyway, it just takes a while to get the hang of when to use which formula.

turin said:
Because v is not constant. That equation is only valid for constant (or average) speed.
Oh, right.

I'm sure there was a more efficient way to solve this problem, but I guess the thing for now was just for me to be able to solve it! TQ

Related to How Is Work Calculated on a Mass on a Frictionless Track?

1. What is a basic work problem with no friction?

A basic work problem with no friction refers to a scenario in which an object is moving without any resistance or opposing force, such as air resistance or friction from a surface.

2. How is work calculated in a basic work problem with no friction?

In a basic work problem with no friction, work is calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance over which the force is applied.

3. What is the relationship between work and energy in a basic work problem with no friction?

In a basic work problem with no friction, work and energy are directly related. The work done on an object equals the change in its kinetic energy.

4. How does the absence of friction affect the work done in a basic work problem?

The absence of friction in a basic work problem means that all of the work done on an object is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in a more efficient transfer of energy.

5. Can a basic work problem with no friction exist in real life?

While it is difficult to achieve a completely frictionless environment, basic work problems with no friction can exist in certain scenarios, such as in outer space where there is no air resistance or on a perfectly smooth surface.

Back