How Is Work Calculated When Separating Charged Sheets?

In summary, the student attempted to find the work required to separate two sheets of charge with equal and opposite charge densities by integrating the electric field produced by the second sheet. However, they weren't able to find the work using any other methods and so they believe the force felt by a patch of area is due solely to the electric field produced by the other sheet.
NullSpace0

Homework Statement

I have a current problem set question about the work per unit area required to separate infinite sheets of charge with equal and opposite charge densities from a separation of d to a separation of 2d.

Homework Equations

U=(1/8∏)∫E2dV
W=∫F*dr
E=4∏σ

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking I could just find the difference in energy stored in the field before and after... so I would integrate E2 over the initial and final volumes, and then the difference must come from work I have put into the system, which shows up as energy stored in the electric field.

If I do this, I get Ui=2∏σ2d and Uf=4∏σ2d

And so the work is just 2∏σ2d. But how am I sure that this has units work per area? It seems like work per volume because you have (esu^2)/(cm^3) for the units written out fully.

Is there a way to do this by integrating the force (or perhaps the field) rather than finding stored energy changes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the potential energy of two charges is ##U = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{q_1 q_2}{r}## (in SI), so energy is charge2/length.

I believe the answer is correct.

What about the force method? Or any other method that's valid?

I actually don't know how to do any other method- ideas from other people?

I think you can argue that the force felt by a patch of area dA on one sheet is due solely to the electric field produced by the other sheet (E = 2∏σ). The force on the patch is then dq*E where dq = σdA. Since the force will be constant as you separate the plates, the work will just be F*d. I believe this will give you the same answer as the energy method.

FAQ: How Is Work Calculated When Separating Charged Sheets?

1. What is "work done to separate sheets"?

"Work done to separate sheets" refers to the amount of energy required to separate two sheets of material that are bonded together. This is an important concept in materials science and engineering, as it can affect the strength and durability of materials.

2. How is work done to separate sheets measured?

The work done to separate sheets is typically measured in units of energy, such as joules (J) or newton-meters (N·m). It can also be expressed in terms of force and distance, such as newtons (N) and meters (m).

3. What factors affect the work done to separate sheets?

The work done to separate sheets can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type of bonding between the sheets, the strength and thickness of the materials, and the conditions under which the separation occurs (e.g. temperature, humidity, etc.). Additionally, the presence of any external forces or stresses can also affect the amount of work required to separate the sheets.

4. Why is it important to understand work done to separate sheets?

Understanding the work done to separate sheets is important for several reasons. It can help determine the strength and durability of materials, as well as inform design and manufacturing processes. Additionally, this concept is relevant in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and construction, where the performance of materials under stress is crucial.

5. Can the work done to separate sheets be reduced?

In some cases, the work done to separate sheets can be reduced by altering the materials or bonding processes. For example, using stronger or more flexible materials, or using adhesives with better bonding properties, can decrease the amount of work required to separate sheets. Additionally, controlling external factors like temperature and stress can also help reduce the work done to separate sheets.

Back