How long after the switch is closed does the voltage across

In summary, the voltage across the resistor drops to Vf = 20V after approximately 91.886x10-6 seconds when the switch is closed, using the formula I = (V0/R)*e-t/RC.
beeteep

Homework Statement

Consider the circuit
2s5yyd0.jpg

How long after the switch is closed does the voltage across the resistor drop to Vf = 20V. Answer in units of s.

Homework Equations

Tc = RC
Q=Qm(1-e-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
RC = .0003026

11 = 31(1-e-t/RC)

.3548 = 1-e-t/RC

1.3548 = e-t/RC

ln(1.3548) = -t/RC

.3037*.0003026 = -t

91.886x10-6 s
Answers I've also come to that have been incorrect:

Previous Tries

Try#1: .945

Try#2: .000313554 (using 20 instead of 11 for Q)

Try#3: 91.886e-6

Attachments

• 2s5yyd0.jpg
    2s5yyd0.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 750
Physics news on Phys.org
Where in your calculations does the 20V appear?

Likes beeteep
rude man said:
Where in your calculations does the 20V appear?
20 = 31(1-e-t/RC)

beeteep said:
20 = 31(1-e-t/RC)

Or what I think you may be asking

(31V-20V) = 31(1-e-t/RC)

Looks like I was using the wrong formula.

I changed to I = (V0/R)*e-t/RC and was able to get the correct answer.

Related to How long after the switch is closed does the voltage across

1. How long after the switch is closed does the voltage across the circuit reach its maximum value?

The time it takes for the voltage to reach its maximum value after the switch is closed depends on the type of circuit and the components used. In a simple DC circuit, the voltage will reach its maximum value almost immediately after the switch is closed. However, in more complex circuits with capacitors and inductors, the voltage may take some time to build up to its maximum value. This is known as the time constant and can be calculated using the circuit's time constant formula.

2. Is there a relationship between the voltage across a circuit and the time it takes to reach its maximum value?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between the voltage across a circuit and the time it takes to reach its maximum value. In simple DC circuits, the voltage across the circuit will reach its maximum value almost instantly. However, in circuits with capacitors and inductors, the time it takes for the voltage to reach its maximum value will depend on the capacitance and inductance of the circuit. The higher the capacitance or inductance, the longer it will take for the voltage to reach its maximum value.

3. Can the voltage across a circuit change after the switch is closed?

Yes, the voltage across a circuit can change after the switch is closed. In a simple DC circuit, the voltage will remain constant once the switch is closed. However, in circuits with capacitors and inductors, the voltage may change over time due to the charging and discharging of the components. This is known as transient response and can be calculated using the circuit's time constant formula.

4. How does the voltage across a circuit change if the resistance is increased?

If the resistance in a circuit is increased, the voltage across the circuit will decrease. This is because an increase in resistance will limit the flow of current, resulting in a decrease in voltage. However, in circuits with capacitors and inductors, increasing the resistance can also affect the time it takes for the voltage to reach its maximum value.

5. Does the voltage across a circuit have a maximum value?

In most cases, the voltage across a circuit will have a maximum value. However, in circuits with capacitors and inductors, the voltage may continue to fluctuate even after the switch is closed. This is due to the components' ability to store and release energy, causing the voltage to oscillate between maximum and minimum values. In these cases, the maximum voltage can be calculated using the circuit's time constant formula.