How Long and Fast Does an Arrow Need to Travel to Clear a Tree?

• Thread starter Kidnapin_colo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the archer wants to fire a 0.2kg arrow so that it will just clear the top of a tree. The arrow will travel 60m horizontally and 45m vertically before reaching its destination. It will take 0.9s for the arrow to reach the desired height and it will travel at a speed of 9.81m/s.
Kidnapin_colo

Homework Statement

An archer wants to fire a 0.2kg arrow so that it will just clear the top of a tree. The tree is 45m high and at a horizontal distance of 60m from the archer.

Calculate the time it will take the arrow to reach the required height and the horizontal speed it takes to reach the tree in this time.

Homework Equations

I'm not too sure...?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm looking for some guidance to point me in the right direction rather than the answer. I WANT TO WORK IT OUT MYSELF! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, kidnappin.
As it stands, there are an infinite number of correct answers!
For each angle you choose, there is a speed that will work.
Could you have missed a given angle in the question?
We could solve it for the minimum initial speed. Any more information at all in the question?

I don't know, Delphi, I would assume it is implying the max height is the height of the tree as well. That's how I picture "just clear a tree". So you can find an initial vertical velocity by assuming that it clears the tree with 0 vertical velocity. Then you can use that to find the time and so on.

Last edited:
That sounds sensible, Sethric!
In all these projectile motion problems, I like to start with two headings:
horizontal and vertical.
In the horizontal part, you have motion at constant speed so you write the formula for that, d = vt. Or x = Vx*t if you prefer.
In the vertical part, you have accelerated motion at a=g = -9.81 so a few formulas apply - usually V = Vy + at and y = Vy*t + 0.5*a*t² work very well. Here Vx and Vy are the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity V.

If you put in all the known numbers into the 3 equations, you will have 3 equations with three unknowns, t, Vx and Vy. Take t to be the time to maximum height, where Vy = 0, x = 60 and y = 45. Write those up and show us! After you get them right, the problem reduces to solving the system of 3 equations with 3 unknowns.

I would've used energy, but them again, I'm lazy.

Related to How Long and Fast Does an Arrow Need to Travel to Clear a Tree?

1. What is the best way to improve in understanding simple physics questions?

The best way to improve in understanding simple physics questions is through practice. Take the time to review and work through similar problems, and make sure to fully understand the concepts behind them. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.

2. How can I better prepare for exams with simple physics questions?

To better prepare for exams with simple physics questions, start by reviewing your class notes and textbook materials. Then, work through practice problems and test yourself to see if you fully understand the concepts. Seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

3. What are some common mistakes to watch out for when solving simple physics questions?

Some common mistakes when solving simple physics questions include not understanding the underlying concepts, using incorrect formulas, and making calculation errors. It's important to take your time and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.

4. How can I stay motivated when struggling with simple physics questions?

Staying motivated when struggling with simple physics questions can be challenging. It's important to remind yourself of the end goal, whether it's passing a test or achieving a certain grade. Also, try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts to make it less daunting.

5. Are there any online resources that can help with understanding simple physics questions?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help with understanding simple physics questions. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. These websites offer explanations, examples, and practice problems to help you better understand the concepts.

Back