How Long Can the Climber Hang Before the Rock Falls?

• Thread starter pediepit
  • Start date
In summary, a 65 kg climber, roped to a 940 kg rock located 51 m from the edge of an ice cliff, will have an acceleration of 0.127904 m/s2 and approximately 15 seconds before the rock goes over the edge. This is calculated by using the equations for the forces and acceleration of both the climber and the rock, taking into account the coefficient of kinetic friction between the rock and ice.
pediepit

Homework Statement

A 65 kg climber finds himself dangling over the edge of an ice cliff, as shown in the figure below. Fortunately, he's roped to a 940 kg rock located 51 m from the edge of the cliff. Assume that the coefficient of kinetic friction between rock and ice is 5.7×10−2. What is his acceleration, and how much time does he have before the rock goes over the edge? Neglect the rope's mass.

Homework Equations

Rock
FT - Ff = massrock * a
N = massrock * g

Climber
FT - massclimber * g = massclimber * a

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for FT for the climber and then stuck this equation into FT in the rock equation. Then solved for a.

a = (g(massclimber - Mu(k) * massrock)) / (massrock - massclimber)

Plugging the numbers in the equation, i get a = 0.127904 m/s2 My homework tells me this is wrong and I can't figure out why. any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the force of friction?

What is the books answer btw?

Ff = Mu(k) * N or Mu(k) * massrock * g

it's actually homework on the computer and doesn't give me the answer. Just tells me mine is wrong and to try again!

figured it out

FT - massclimber * g = massclimber * a
should be
FT - massclimber * g = -massclimber * a
since the climber is moving downward

Related to How Long Can the Climber Hang Before the Rock Falls?

1. How does a climber safely hang from a cliff?

A climber can safely hang from a cliff by using proper climbing equipment, such as a harness, ropes, and carabiners, to secure themselves to the rock face. They also use specialized techniques, such as belaying, to ensure that they do not fall.

2. What are the risks involved in hanging from a cliff?

The risks involved in hanging from a cliff include potential falls, equipment failure, and fatigue. It is important for climbers to have proper training and experience to minimize these risks and to always check their equipment before each climb.

3. How do climbers train to hang from a cliff?

Climbers train to hang from a cliff by practicing in a safe and controlled environment, such as a climbing gym, under the guidance of experienced climbers. They also work on building strength, endurance, and technique through various exercises and climbing routes.

4. What are some tips for hanging from a cliff?

Some tips for hanging from a cliff include always double-checking your equipment, staying calm and focused, and communicating with your climbing partner. It is also important to take breaks and rest when needed to avoid fatigue.

5. What should you do if you get stuck while hanging from a cliff?

If you get stuck while hanging from a cliff, it is important to remain calm and assess the situation. Try to find a more secure foothold or handhold, or ask your climbing partner for assistance. If you are unable to move, you can use your climbing equipment, such as a prusik knot, to secure yourself while you figure out your next move.