How long do the balls take to hit the ground?

In summary, two students are standing on a balcony 23.4 m above the street. One student throws a ball down at 15.5 m/s while the other throws a ball up at the same speed. The time difference between the balls in the air is 3.6 seconds and the velocity of each ball when it hits the ground is 0 m/s for the first ball and 30 m/s for the second ball. After 0.480 seconds, the balls are 34.8 meters apart.
Leo34005
Velocity Physics Problem

Homework Statement

Two students are on a balcony 23.4 m above the street. One student throws a ball, b1, vertically downward at 15.5 m/s. At the same instant, the other student throws a ball, b2, vertically upward at the same speed. The second ball just misses the balcony on the way down.

(a) What is the difference in time the balls spend in the air?

(b) What is the velocity of each ball as it strikes the ground?
velocity for b1
velocity for b2

(c) How far apart are the balls 0.480 s after they are thrown?

Homework Equations

s = ut + 1/2at
Not to sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I am considering g = 10 m / sec^2.

Motion of the first ball:

=>23.4 = (15.5)t + 10(t^2)/2
=>23.4 = 15.5 t + 5(t^2)
=>(t^2) + 3.1t - 4.68 = 0
=> t = (-3.1 + 5.3) / 2 = 0.6 sec

Motion of the second ball

=>23.4 = - (15.5)t + 10(t^2)/2
=>23.4 = -(15.5 t) + 5(t^2)
=>(t^2) - 3.1t - 4.68 = 0
=> t = (3.1 + 5.3) / 2 = 4.2 sec

Difference in time = 3.6 sec

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Need some help here

Wouldn't your g = 9.8m/s due to gravity ? As for your first question it would be the ball going down, as you throw the ball up it is going against gravity thus making it achieve its goal much slower than the ball going down.

I think what i did was wrong, and yours too, so can anyone out there help me find the answer? At least i attempted it

Related to How long do the balls take to hit the ground?

What is an "Advance Physics Problem"?

An "Advance Physics Problem" is a complex and challenging question that requires a deep understanding of physics principles, advanced mathematical skills, and critical thinking to solve. These problems often involve real-world scenarios and require multiple steps to arrive at a solution.

Why are "Advance Physics Problems" important in scientific research?

"Advance Physics Problems" are essential in scientific research because they allow scientists to test and further develop their understanding of fundamental physics principles. These problems also help researchers to develop new theories and technologies that can have significant real-world applications.

What are some common types of "Advance Physics Problems"?

Some common types of "Advance Physics Problems" include kinematics problems involving motion and forces, thermodynamics problems involving heat and energy, and electromagnetics problems involving electricity and magnetism. Other types of problems may involve quantum mechanics, relativity, or particle physics.

How can I approach solving an "Advance Physics Problem"?

To effectively solve an "Advance Physics Problem", it is crucial to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Begin by identifying the known quantities and equations that apply to the problem. Then, use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to manipulate the equations and solve for the unknown variables.

What resources are available to help with "Advance Physics Problems"?

There are many resources available to help with "Advance Physics Problems", including textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or professor can be beneficial in understanding complex concepts and problem-solving strategies.

Back