How Long Does Is take for a car to go from 0-60 MPH

• Thread starter lorenamtimas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary: That is the correct answer.In summary, to find the time it takes for a car to accelerate from 0-60 MPH, we can convert the units to a common system (such as SI) and then use the formula for acceleration to find the time. In this case, the time is approximately 2.74 seconds.
lorenamtimas

Homework Statement

A car accelerates at 9.8m/s^2 How long does it take to go from 0-60 MPH?

Homework Equations

I don't know which ones may be relevant, this is where I'm stumped.

The Attempt at a Solution

I somehow got 2.77 seconds as an answer but I'm not sure how I got it. I am new to physics; Conceptual Physics is my very first Physics class and I'm having an awfully difficult time understanding. Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is pretty close to the correct one.

Perhaps you could recall how you got and explain to us why you did this or that. And we will help if you get confused along the way.

voko said:
Your answer is pretty close to the correct one.

Perhaps you could recall how you got and explain to us why you did this or that. And we will help if you get confused along the way.

Well this is what I did:

I converted 9.8m to miles and got this 0.00609mi
I then divided this # by 10,000 to get as close to 60 miles as I could get, which resulted in 60.9mi
I then divided 10,000 by 3600 (the amount of seconds in as hour) which gave me 2.77seconds.
I'm still not clear as to why I made these choices but they seemed to make sense to me for some reason.

Here is what you did.

You converted ## 9.8 \frac {m} {s^2} ## to ## 0.00609 \frac {mile} {s^2} ##, which is a little unusual but technically correct.

Then you found that ## \displaystyle \frac { 60 \frac {mile} {hour} } {0.00609 \frac {mile} {s^2}} \cong 10000 \frac {s} {hour} s ##.

Finally, because ## \frac {s} {hour} = \frac 1 {3600} ##, you got ## 10000 \frac {s} {hour} s = \frac {1000} {3600} s ## = 2.78 s.

All of this is correct, but, as I said, is unusual. The unusuality is that you did not convert all units to one system, but kept mixed units throughout. Typically one converts all the different units to one system, then computes, and then, if required, converts to other units.

Here is how I would do it.

Convert 60 MPH to m/s. Because one mile is 1609.34 m, and 1 hour is 3600 seconds, 60 MPH = 60 * 1609.4/3600 m/s = 26.82 m/s. Now we have the velocity and the acceleration in one system of units, SI (meters and seconds), and 26.82 m/s / 9.8 m/s^2 = 2.74 s.

I would approach this problem by first converting the given acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 to the appropriate units for this problem, which is feet per second squared (ft/s^2). This can be done by using the conversion factor 1m = 3.28ft. So, 9.8m/s^2 would be equivalent to approximately 32.2ft/s^2.

Next, I would use the formula for calculating the time it takes for an object to reach a certain velocity, which is t = (vf - vi)/a, where t is time, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and a is acceleration. In this case, we are looking for the time it takes for the car to reach a final velocity of 60mph, which is approximately 88ft/s. The initial velocity is 0mph, which is equivalent to 0ft/s.

Plugging these values into the formula, we get t = (88ft/s - 0ft/s)/32.2ft/s^2 = 2.73 seconds. This is very close to your answer of 2.77 seconds, so it seems like you were on the right track.

In summary, the time it takes for a car to go from 0-60mph with an acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 is approximately 2.73 seconds. However, it's important to note that this is a simplified calculation and does not take into account factors such as air resistance, friction, and the weight of the car, which can affect the actual time it takes for the car to reach 60mph.

Related to How Long Does Is take for a car to go from 0-60 MPH

1. How does a car reach 60 mph?

A car reaches 60 mph by accelerating from 0 mph to 60 mph. This means that the car's speed increases gradually from 0 to 60 miles per hour in a certain amount of time, depending on the car's specifications and conditions.

2. What factors affect the time it takes for a car to go from 0-60 mph?

The time it takes for a car to go from 0-60 mph can be affected by several factors, including the car's weight, engine power, transmission type, tire traction, road conditions, and weather conditions. These factors can impact the car's acceleration and therefore the time it takes to reach 60 mph.

3. Can a car's 0-60 mph time be improved?

Yes, a car's 0-60 mph time can be improved by making modifications to the car, such as adding a turbocharger or upgrading the engine. Additionally, driving techniques such as using launch control and shifting gears efficiently can also improve the car's acceleration and 0-60 mph time.

4. How long does it take for an electric car to go from 0-60 mph?

The time it takes for an electric car to go from 0-60 mph can vary depending on the specific model and its battery capacity. Some electric cars can reach 60 mph in under 4 seconds, while others may take closer to 8 seconds. Generally, electric cars have faster acceleration than traditional gasoline cars.

5. Why is the 0-60 mph time important for car performance?

The 0-60 mph time is important for car performance because it is a measure of the car's acceleration and overall power. A faster 0-60 mph time indicates that the car has better acceleration and can reach higher speeds more quickly. This is important for tasks such as merging onto highways or passing other vehicles on the road.