How Long Does It Take for a Ball Launched Off a Cliff to Hit the Ground?

• Thread starter TheDoorsOfMe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the problem involves a ball being launched off a cliff at a given speed and angle. The goal is to determine the time it takes for the ball to hit the ground. The solution involves using equations (1), (2), and (3) to calculate the time it takes for the ball to reach its peak and then come back down to the ground. The result may seem complicated, but it is the correct approach to solving the problem.
TheDoorsOfMe

Homework Statement

Ok, you have a cliff with height h and you launch a ball off of it at speed v and angle [tex]\theta[/tex]. How long till it hit the ground?

Homework Equations

(1) Vsin([tex]\theta[/tex]) = V[tex]_{y}[/tex]
(2) V[tex]_{f}[/tex] = V[tex]_{y}[/tex] + at
(3) d = ((V[tex]_{i}[/tex] + V[tex]_{f}[/tex])/2)*t

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so what I did was take equation (2) and set V[tex]_{f}[/tex]= 0. This alllows me to solve for the time that it takes to reach peak. Multiply this result by 2 to get the time when the ball is back to the plane of the cliff. Then for the time down to the ground I used equation (3) and plugged in V[tex]_{f}[/tex]= [tex]\sqrt{V^{2}_{i}+2gh}[/tex] for V[tex]_{f}[/tex]. Then I solved for t.

This lead to a result I feel looked to complicated for the question. Did I do this right?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I don't know why all my subscripts look like superscripts in this but they do. All those i's and f's are for intial and final velocity.

Yes, your approach is correct. However, it may be helpful to simplify the equations by using the initial velocity in terms of its x and y components. This can be done by using equation (1) to find the initial velocity in the x direction (Vcos(\theta)) and then plugging that into equation (3). This will give you a simpler equation to solve for the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground. Also, make sure to keep track of the units and use appropriate units for each variable. Overall, your approach is correct and should lead you to the correct answer.

Related to How Long Does It Take for a Ball Launched Off a Cliff to Hit the Ground?

What is the definition of "Ball launched off a Cliff"?

The phrase "Ball launched off a Cliff" refers to the act of throwing or propelling a ball off the edge of a cliff or high surface.

What factors affect the trajectory of a ball launched off a cliff?

The trajectory of a ball launched off a cliff is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity and angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

How does air resistance impact the flight of a ball launched off a cliff?

As the ball travels through the air, it experiences air resistance, which acts in the opposite direction of its motion. This force can slow down the ball and alter its trajectory, causing it to deviate from its ideal path.

What is the maximum height and distance a ball can reach when launched off a cliff?

The maximum height and distance a ball can reach when launched off a cliff depends on the initial velocity and angle of launch, as well as the height of the cliff and any external forces acting on the ball.

What other variables can impact the flight of a ball launched off a cliff?

In addition to the factors mentioned above, other variables that can affect the flight of a ball launched off a cliff include the mass and shape of the ball, the surface of the cliff, and any external forces such as wind or air currents.

Back