How long does it take for the batter to lose its charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the power consumption of a car's headlights, which is 120 W, and the 12-V battery capacity, which is 95 A * h. Using the equation P=IV, the current drawn by the lights is determined to be 10 A. It is then noted that the battery's capacity is measured in units of charge, and dividing 95 by 10 gives the time before the battery fails.
pandamonium

Homework Statement

The two headlights of a car sonsume a total power of 120 W. A driver parks the car but leaves the lights on. The 12-V battery is rated at 95 A * h.

Homework Equations

P=IV
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know any equation that associates this with time. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi pandamonium, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you determine the amount of current drawn by the lights?

Since power and voltage is given, we use P=IV to solve for the current I, correct ?

gneill said:
Hi pandamonium, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you determine the amount of current drawn by the lights?
Since power and voltage is given, we use P=IV to solve for the current I, correct ? And thanks!

pandamonium said:
Since power and voltage is given, we use P=IV to solve for the current I, correct ? And thanks!
That's right. What value do you get for the current?

gneill said:
That's right. What value do you get for the current?
I got I=10.

pandamonium said:
I got I=10.
Okay, now take a closer look at the units of the battery capacity. How long will you have to draw 10 A to equal that capacity?

gneill said:
Okay, now take a closer look at the units of the battery capacity. How long will you have to draw 10 A to equal that capacity?
Oh, since 95 is the total charge that the battery can produce before failing, I can divide 95/10 to get the time before it fails, correct ?

pandamonium said:
Oh, since 95 is the total charge that the battery can produce before failing, I can divide 95/10 to get the time before it fails, correct ?
Yes. You can check your logic by working with the units.

gneill said:
Yes. You can check your logic by working with the units.
Thanks for all the help ! I really appreciate it c:

Related to How long does it take for the batter to lose its charge?

1. How is charge measured in a batter?

The charge in a batter can be measured in units of coulombs, which is a measure of electric charge.

2. What factors affect the rate at which a batter loses its charge?

The rate at which a batter loses its charge can be affected by factors such as temperature, the type of material used in the battery, and the amount of usage or discharge cycles the battery has gone through.

3. Does the type of battery affect how long it takes for it to lose its charge?

Yes, the type of battery can affect how long it takes for it to lose its charge. For example, lithium-ion batteries tend to hold a charge longer than lead-acid batteries.

4. Can a battery lose its charge even when it's not being used?

Yes, a battery can lose its charge even when it is not being used. This is known as self-discharge and can occur due to internal chemical reactions within the battery.

5. Is there a way to extend the lifespan of a battery's charge?

Yes, there are ways to extend the lifespan of a battery's charge. Some tips include avoiding extreme temperatures, avoiding overcharging or completely draining the battery, and using the battery regularly rather than letting it sit for long periods of time.