How Long Does Light Take to Travel 93 Million Miles?

• Thread starter FloridaPhys
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking for the amount of time it takes for light to travel 93x10^6 miles. Using dimensional analysis, the answer is 8.33 minutes. However, the question is phrased incorrectly as you cannot convert a unit of distance into a unit of time.
FloridaPhys
1. Convert 93x10^6 miles to minutes given that 1 km= .62 mile and that light travels at a speed of 3.0x10^8 m/s

Im having a problem processing this

Physics news on Phys.org
FloridaPhys said:
1. Convert 93x10^6 miles to minutes given that 1 km= .62 mile and that light travels at a speed of 3.0x10^8 m/s

The question is phrased clumsily. You can never convert a unit of distance into a unit of time. I assume the question means to ask, "How many minutes does it take for a particle traveling the speed of light to travel 93x10^6 miles?"

You can use pure unit conversion to think out the answer:
[tex]\frac{93x10^6 miles}{1} * \frac{1 km}{.62 miles} * \frac{1000 m}{1km} * \frac{1s}{3.00x10^8 m} * \frac{1 minute}{60 seconds}[/tex]

FloridaPhys said:

Use dimensional analysis. I believe you're trying to find the amount of time it takes for light to travel over 93x10^6 miles, thus converting from miles to minutes.

xcvxcvvc said:
The question is phrased clumsily. You can never convert a unit of distance into a unit of time. I assume the question means to ask, "How many minutes does it take for a particle traveling the speed of light to travel 93x10^6 miles?"

You can use pure unit conversion to think out the answer:
[tex]\frac{93x10^6 miles}{1} * \frac{1 km}{.62 miles} * \frac{1000 m}{1km} * \frac{1s}{3.00x10^8 m} * \frac{1 minute}{60 seconds}[/tex]

thank you, i knew something was wrong with the question...

The answer is 8.33 minutes

Related to How Long Does Light Take to Travel 93 Million Miles?

1. How do I convert miles to minutes?

To convert miles to minutes, you need to know the speed at which you are traveling. Then, divide the distance (in miles) by the speed (in miles per hour) to get the time (in hours). Finally, multiply the time (in hours) by 60 to get the time in minutes.

2. Why do we need to convert miles to minutes?

Converting miles to minutes is useful when you need to know how long it will take to travel a certain distance. It can also be helpful when comparing different modes of transportation that use different units of measurement.

3. Can I use any speed unit to convert miles to minutes?

Yes, as long as you are consistent with your units. For example, if you use miles for distance, you should use miles per hour for speed. If you use kilometers for distance, you should use kilometers per hour for speed.

4. Is there a formula for converting miles to minutes?

Yes, the formula is: Time (in minutes) = Distance (in miles) / Speed (in miles per hour) * 60. You can also use a calculator or an online converter to make the conversion.

5. Are there any shortcuts for converting miles to minutes?

If you know the conversion factor for miles to minutes, you can use that to quickly convert. For example, the conversion factor for miles to minutes at a speed of 60 miles per hour is 1 minute per mile. So, if you need to convert 10 miles to minutes, you can simply multiply 10 by 1 to get 10 minutes.