How Long Does the Shot Last in a Sliding Cannon Scenario?

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
In summary: Your Name]In summary, to find the duration of the shot in this problem, we use the conservation of momentum equation and the kinematics equation. The change in momentum of the cannon is Mvcosα and the duration of the shot is directly related to this change in momentum. By plugging in the values for acceleration, initial velocity, and final velocity, we can solve for the time interval during which the momentum of the cannon changes and determine the duration of the shot.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A cannon of mass M starts sliding freely down a smooth inclined plane at an angle α to the horizontal. After the cannon covered the distance l, a shot was fired, the shell leaving the cannon in the horizontal direction with a momentum p. As a consequence, the cannon stopped. Assuming the mass of the shell to be negligible, as compared to that of the cannon, determine the duration of the shot.

Homework Equations

Kinematics Equations
Conservation of Momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

Acceleration of cannon along incline = [itex]gsinα[/itex]
Distance covered = l
Initial Velocity = 0
So final velocity of the cannon (v) = [itex]\sqrt{2glsinα}[/itex]
If I take X-axis along the incline and Y-axis perpendicular to it
[itex]\vec{p}_{i}=Mvcosα[/itex]
[itex]\vec{p}_{f}=0[/itex] (Since cannon stops)
Since I have to find duration of shot so that means I have to find the time interval during which the momentum of the cannon changed. Am I right with this assumption or does that means something else? If I'm right then how do I find it?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you have a good understanding of the initial conditions and the equations involved in this problem. To answer your question, yes, you are correct in assuming that you need to find the time interval during which the momentum of the cannon changes. This is because the duration of the shot is directly related to the change in momentum of the cannon.

To find the duration of the shot, you can use the conservation of momentum equation: \vec{p}_{i}=\vec{p}_{f}. In this case, the initial momentum of the cannon is Mvcosα and the final momentum is 0, so the equation becomes Mvcosα=0. This means that the change in momentum is Mvcosα. To find the duration of the shot, you can use the kinematics equation v=v_{0}+at, where v is the final velocity, v_{0} is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, the final velocity is 0, the initial velocity is \sqrt{2glsinα}, and the acceleration is gsinα. Plug in these values and solve for t to find the duration of the shot.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Long Does the Shot Last in a Sliding Cannon Scenario?

What is the meaning of "duration of shot"?

The duration of shot refers to the length of time that a camera records a single continuous scene or action without being stopped or interrupted.

Why is it important to know the duration of a shot?

Knowing the duration of a shot is important for filmmakers and editors to create a cohesive and engaging story. It helps to maintain continuity and pace in the film and can also convey important information or emotions to the audience.

How do you calculate the duration of a shot?

The duration of a shot can be calculated by using a stopwatch or by looking at the timecode on the camera or editing software. It can also be estimated by watching the footage and determining the start and end time of the shot.

What factors can affect the duration of a shot?

The duration of a shot can be affected by various factors such as the location, lighting, camera movements, dialogue, and action within the shot. The director's vision and the overall style and tone of the film can also impact the duration of a shot.

Can the duration of a shot be changed during the editing process?

Yes, the duration of a shot can be changed during the editing process. This allows filmmakers to adjust the pacing and flow of the film, as well as to add or remove any unnecessary footage. However, it is important to maintain consistency and continuity throughout the film.