How Long for Electric Field to Vanish in a Photoelectron-Irradiated Capacitor?

In summary, the photoelectron creates an electric field which causes the two plates to repel each other. The time it takes for the field to vanish is given by t_van.
Onias

Homework Statement

The negative plate of a charged, isolated parallel plate capacitor with a vacuum gap of width d and carrying a surface charge density s is uniformly irradiated with a short pulse of ultraviolet light whose photon energy is just enough to release a photoelectron at the surface with zero kinetic energy. The radiant energy per unit area deposited by the pulse is such that a photoelectron surface charge density of exactly s is generated. Derive an expression for t_van, the time taken following the ultraviolet pulse for the electric field to vanish everywhere between the plates. Evaluate t_van for s=0.1 micro Coulomb per unit area and d=1mm

Homework Equations

None given

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very confused by the question, I'm really not sure which equations to use. Presumably, the photoelectron would produce an electric field which would interfere with the two plates, but does this mean I use the equations for polarisation? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. What's the electric field set up by the photon-excited electrons in the gap d?
2. Can you think of a relationship between h and the transit time, based on energy conservation?

Could you apply Lorentz' law and calculate the time it would take for the charge to reach the positive plate, when the charges would cancel and, thus, the electric field would vanish? Or am I conceptualizing this wrong?

I think you are right. Those photoelectrons got free from the metal at the same time, but with zero kinetic energy, so they are together at the negative plate initially. Feeling the electric field of the positive charges on the other plate, they start to move towards the positive plate together, with the same acceleration and velocity. Arriving there, the charges neutralize and the electric field vanishes.

I don't believe there are any magnetic effects to be considered here, so the Lorentz law is not relevant. The inductance of the gap has to be very small.

ehild has the right idea.

I might have the name wrong. The force on a charged particle:

F = q(E+(vXB))

Obviously the second term is zero. Anyway, thanks for your help, I have enough info to attempt the question at least :)

Related to How Long for Electric Field to Vanish in a Photoelectron-Irradiated Capacitor?

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a device used in electronic circuits to store electrical charge. It is composed of two parallel conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as the dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the plates, an electric field is created between them, causing the plates to store opposite charges.

2. How does a parallel plate capacitor work?

A parallel plate capacitor works by using the insulating material between the plates to prevent the charges from flowing across them. The electric field created between the plates allows for the storage of electrical charge, and the larger the distance between the plates, the greater the capacitance (ability to store charge) of the capacitor.

3. What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The formula for calculating the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance in farads, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates in square meters, and d is the distance between the plates in meters.

4. What factors affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is affected by the area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. A larger plate area and smaller distance between plates will result in a higher capacitance, while a higher permittivity of the dielectric material will also increase the capacitance.

5. How is a parallel plate capacitor different from other types of capacitors?

A parallel plate capacitor is different from other types of capacitors in that it has two parallel conductive plates, while other types such as cylindrical or spherical capacitors have different shapes. Additionally, parallel plate capacitors have a constant capacitance, while other types may have a varying capacitance depending on the voltage applied.