How long has the tree been dead?

• Thread starter Math10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tree
In summary, the conversation discusses a tree with a known percentage of radioactive substance that decays after the tree's death. The formula (1/2)^(-t/tau) is suggested to solve for the time since the tree's death, but it is unsure if it is correct. The final solution is given as (tau)*ln(p0/p1)/ln(2).
Math10

Homework Statement

A tree contains a known percentage p0 of a radioactive substance with half-life tau. When the tree dies the substance decays and isn't replaced. If the percentage of the substance in the fossilized remains of such a tree is found to be p1, how long has the tree been dead?

Homework Equations

I don't know what formula to use but I know that I have to solve for t in the formula. So I just need to know the formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

p1=(1/2)^(-t/tau)
This is all I can come up at this moment. I don't know if this is the right formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use a positive exponent with (1/2) as your base or you can use a negative exponent with 2 as the base. And p0 should be in there somewhere.

Likes Math10
I got it! Thanks for the help!

Math10 said:
I got it! Thanks for the help!

If you have got it why not tell us the answer? The last poster who told me they'd got it, when I asked, hadn't, and I think this is true of quite a lot who say that.

The answer is (tau)*ln(p0/p1)/ln(2).

Right

Related to How long has the tree been dead?

1. How can you tell if a tree is dead?

There are several signs that can indicate a tree is dead, such as no new growth, brittle or missing bark, and a lack of leaves in the growing season. A tree may also have fungi growing on it or be leaning in an unusual way.

2. Can you estimate the time of death for a tree?

Yes, it is possible to estimate the time of death for a tree by examining the decay and decomposition of the tree's wood. This process can be affected by various factors such as the type of tree, climate, and surrounding environment.

3. How accurate are methods for dating the death of a tree?

The accuracy of dating methods for determining the death of a tree can vary depending on the method used and the condition of the tree. Some methods, such as dendrochronology, can provide a more precise estimate while others, like examining the tree's physical appearance, may be less accurate.

4. Can a tree still be considered living if it has died but remains standing?

No, a tree is considered dead if it no longer has any living tissue. Even if the tree remains standing, it is no longer able to carry out essential functions such as photosynthesis and nutrient absorption.

5. How long does it take for a tree to die?

The length of time it takes for a tree to die can vary greatly depending on the cause of death, the health and age of the tree, and environmental factors. Some trees may die within a few months, while others may take several years to fully decompose.