How Long is the Ball in the Air Using a Quadratic Equation?

• Thread starter caprija
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary, the height of the ball is given by the equation h = 1.2 + 20t - 5t^2, where t is in seconds. If the ball is caught at the same height at which it was hit, the time it is in the air can be found by setting h equal to the initial height and solving for t. This is a quadratic equation with two solutions, one of which is the answer. The formula -b/2a gives the x-coordinate of the vertex, which is the time for the maximum height.
caprija
The height h of the ball is given be h = 1.2 + 20t -5t^2, where t is in seconds. If the ball is caught at the same height at which it was hit, how long is it in the air?

How do I figure out the time? quadratic function? -b/2a?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the ball is caught at the same height at which it is thrown, what can you say about h?

By the way, I don't know what this is

This is not the quadratic formula.

Last edited:
I know it's not the quadratic formula, I was just asking. I figured out the height, it's 21.2 and the answer to the question is 4 sec. but I don't know how to get it.

For this problem, we don't need to know the actual height. The equation you state gives the displacement of the ball. Now, if we throw a ball from a certain height d into the air, and catch it when it falls back down to the height d, then what is the displacement? [hint: displacement is a vector quantity]

To help clarify for the original poster, because I do not know his or her level of mathematical study,

By itself, the formula provided does give how high the ball is above the ground at a certain time t. It should be easy, then, to solve for the time that it takes to reach that height; just plug in the right value for h.

Except we are not given h! No, we are not given h explicitly, but it can be figured out easily if you plug in the right value for t.

This is analogous to cristo's comment about the displacement. If you take physics (or maybe you have already), the displacement is [final position - original position]. The original position is given by [tex]h_{\text{original}}=1.2+20t_{\text{original}}-5t_{\text{original}}^2[/tex]. The final position is given by [tex]h_{\text{final}}=1.2+20t_{\text{final}}-5t_{\text{final}}^2[/tex]. What are you looking for and how can you simplify?

If you need to, ponder this: why is the height a quadratic equation with two time solutions?

As for -b/2a, that will give the x-coordinate of the vertex. Since the parabola is pointing downwards on a plot of height versus time, it will give the time for the maximum height, which some problems ask for, but not this one.

Last edited:
caprija said:
I know it's not the quadratic formula, I was just asking. I figured out the height, it's 21.2 and the answer to the question is 4 sec. but I don't know how to get it.
WHAT were you asking? You said
caprija said:
What exactly was your question?
caprija said:
The height h of the ball is given be h = 1.2 + 20t -5t^2, where t is in seconds. If the ball is caught at the same height at which it was hit, how long is it in the air?
At what height was it hit- what is h when t= 0? If it was caught at that same height, set h= to that height and solve. Since this is a quadratic equation, it will have two solutions. One is obvious, the other is your answer.

FAQ: How Long is the Ball in the Air Using a Quadratic Equation?

What are quadratic word problems?

Quadratic word problems are mathematical problems that involve finding the solution to a quadratic equation in a real-life context.

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation in the form of ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a polynomial equation of degree 2 and has two solutions.

How do you solve quadratic word problems?

To solve quadratic word problems, you need to follow these steps: 1) Read and understand the problem. 2) Identify the unknown variable. 3) Write the equation in the form of ax² + bx + c = 0. 4) Solve the equation using the quadratic formula or factoring. 5) Check your solution to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

What are some real-life applications of quadratic word problems?

Quadratic word problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve real-life situations. For example, they can be used to calculate the maximum height of a ball thrown into the air or the optimal production level for a company to maximize profits.

What are some tips for solving quadratic word problems?

Some tips for solving quadratic word problems include: 1) Carefully read and understand the problem. 2) Draw a picture or diagram if possible. 3) Use keywords to identify the type of problem (e.g. maximum, minimum, distance, time). 4) Write the equation correctly. 5) Check your solution to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem. 6) Practice solving different types of quadratic word problems to improve your skills.