How Long to Catch a Drifting Boat on the Deschutes River?

• Thread starter johnhuntsman
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the distance of a boat downstream from a bridge when a person falls out of the boat and grabs onto a piling for 40 seconds before swimming after the boat at a speed of 0.95 m/s relative to the water. Using the kinematic equation x = Vot + 1/2at^2, with no acceleration and a time difference of t-40, the displacement of the boat can be found.
johnhuntsman
"Assume that the Deschutes River has straight and parallel banks and that the current
is 0.75 m/s. Drifting down the river, you fall out of your boat and immediately grab
a piling of the Warm Springs Bridge. You hold on for 40 s and then swim after the
boat with a speed relative to the water of 0.95 m/s. The distance of the boat
downstream from the bridge when you catch it is..."

I've solved a similar problem in the past and normally I'd reference that homework, but my teacher has yet to hand that back. If someone could just point me in the right direction (i.e., set it up and tell where to go from there) I'd appreciate it.

Nevermind! Read post #2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nervermind, just figured this out. I'd delete this thread but don't know how.

The easiest way to go about this is to solve for t
To do this you're going to want two equations, one for the boat, and one for you swimming
Use the kinematic x = Vot + 1/2at^2 for the equation (no acceleration makes this pretty simple)
As for the time difference, the time that the boat is traveling before it is caught is just time t correct?
Well using that, since you wait 40 seconds before chasing the boat, is it not true that the time that you swim is 40 seconds less than the time the boat is floating? Aka t - 40
From there it's just algebra, then use the time you find to find the displacement of the boat

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see that post you made. Wish I knew how to delete posts haha

FAQ: How Long to Catch a Drifting Boat on the Deschutes River?

1. How long does it take to catch a cold?

The length of time it takes to catch a cold can vary depending on various factors such as your immune system, exposure to the virus, and overall health. On average, it can take 1-3 days for symptoms to appear after being exposed to the virus.

2. How long does it take to catch a fish?

The time it takes to catch a fish can vary greatly depending on factors such as location, type of fish, and fishing method. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours to catch a fish.

3. How long does it take to catch a flight?

The time it takes to catch a flight can vary depending on factors such as airport security, check-in process, and boarding procedures. On average, it can take 1-2 hours from the time you arrive at the airport to board your flight.

4. How long does it take to catch a criminal?

The time it takes to catch a criminal can vary greatly depending on the severity of the crime, the resources available for investigation, and the cooperation of witnesses and suspects. It can take anywhere from a few days to several years to catch a criminal.

5. How long does it take to catch a wave?

The time it takes to catch a wave while surfing can vary depending on factors such as wave height, strength of the current, and your surfing skills. It can take a few seconds to catch a wave, but the overall surfing experience can last anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.