How Long Was the Kangaroo in the Air Before Returning to Earth?

In summary, a kangaroo jumps to a vertical height of 2.55 m and it takes about 1.44 seconds to return to Earth.
Eternal Sky

Homework Statement

A kangaroo jumps to a vertical height of 2.55 m. How long was it in the air before returning to Earth?

Homework Equations

v = v(initial) + a*t

x = x(initial) + v(initial)*t + 1/2*a*t^2

v^2 = v(initial)^2 + 2*a*(x - x(initial))

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use the x = x(initial) + v(initial)*t + 1/2*a*t^2 equation, but it didn't work out. I assumed that x and x(initial) were both 0, since the total displacement is 0, and acceleration would be -9.80 m/s^2. However, I don't know what the velocity would be, and I don't see how I can solve the equation without it.

Any help would be appreciated (sorry about the newbie question, but I just started physics)

Physics news on Phys.org
Eternal Sky said:

Homework Statement

A kangaroo jumps to a vertical height of 2.55 m. How long was it in the air before returning to Earth?

Homework Equations

v = v(initial) + a*t

x = x(initial) + v(initial)*t + 1/2*a*t^2

v^2 = v(initial)^2 + 2*a*(x - x(initial))

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use the x = x(initial) + v(initial)*t + 1/2*a*t^2 equation, but it didn't work out. I assumed that x and x(initial) were both 0, since the total displacement is 0, and acceleration would be -9.80 m/s^2. However, I don't know what the velocity would be, and I don't see how I can solve the equation without it.

Any help would be appreciated (sorry about the newbie question, but I just started physics)

Welcome to PF.

You are almost right, except you are given the height of 2.55 m that it jumps.

If you can figure how long it takes to fall, then you also will know how long it took to get up to the height. That way you can eliminate the need to know Vo.

Notice that x= x(initial)+ v(initial)t+ (1/2)at2 is a quadratic equation and its graph is a parabola. Further, since a= acceleration due to gravity is negative, it is a parabola opening downward. What must v(intitial) be in order that the vertex of the parabola be 2.55 m above x(initial)?

I think I see now.

I set the initial height to 2.55 m and used that to determine the time for half of the trip, which was about 0.72 s. Multiply that by two, and the time for the whole trip is 1.44 s.

Thanks to both of you for your help!

FAQ: How Long Was the Kangaroo in the Air Before Returning to Earth?

1. How do you calculate vertical height?

The formula for calculating vertical height is h = vt - 1/2gt^2, where h is the vertical height, v is the initial velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the difference between vertical height and distance?

Vertical height refers to the distance an object has traveled in a straight line vertically, while distance refers to the total length traveled by an object regardless of direction.

3. How is vertical height affected by gravity?

Gravity is a constant force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. This means that vertical height is affected by gravity and decreases as the object falls towards the ground.

4. Can vertical height be negative?

Yes, vertical height can be negative if the object is below the starting point or if it is traveling in a downward direction.

5. What are the units for vertical height?

The units for vertical height are typically meters (m) or feet (ft), depending on the measurement system being used. It can also be expressed in other units of length, such as centimeters or kilometers.

Back