How Long Will It Take for the Car to Collide with the Truck?

• Thread starter wangwang2626
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation revolved around a car traveling at 110km/h and decelerating at -6.5 m/s, 25 meters behind a truck that suddenly braked. The person is trying to determine how long it will take for the car to collide with the truck and at what speed, and what deceleration would be needed for the collision to occur. They also asked about the distance the car would cover while decelerating to 0 speed and whether it would be greater or less than 25 meters.
wangwang2626
Ok so the car is 25 m behind a truck which suddenly braked. I put it as decelerating at -6.5 m/s it was traveling at 110km/h . I would like to know how long it takes to collide with the truck , and if it dosent what would I have to change the deceleration to be so that it does collide with the truck?
What I did was
v=vo+at
t=(v-vo)/a
t=30.5556/(-6.5)
but that's obviously wrong
I don't know what to do next
or what other formula to use

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How fast was the car going and how fast is it decelerating, starting with how long after the truck is decelerating?

the car was traveling at 110km/h when they noticed that the truck was not moving , it was 25 meters behind , I said it was decelerating at 6.5 m/s so how long would it take till it got to the truck and at what speed would it hit the truck. If the car does not reach the truck can you please suggest a different deceleration?

In the absence of the truck, how much distance is covered by the car from the moment it starts to decelerate until its speed = 0? Is that distance < or > 25m? (Hint: you first need to compute the time to decelerate to zero, which you have already done except for the wrong sign).

When you get this part we can continue with the second part of the question.

To calculate the time it takes for the car to collide with the truck, you can use the formula for distance, d = v0t + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the deceleration, and t is the time. In this case, the initial velocity is 110 km/h, which is equivalent to 30.5556 m/s. The distance is 25 m, and the deceleration is -6.5 m/s^2. Plugging these values into the formula, we get:

25 = 30.5556t + 1/2(-6.5)t^2

Solving for t, we get t = 2.75 seconds. This means that it will take 2.75 seconds for the car to collide with the truck.

If you want to change the deceleration so that the car collides with the truck, you can rearrange the formula to solve for a:

a = (d - v0t) / (1/2t^2)

Substituting the values, we get:

a = (25 - 30.5556*2.75) / (1/2*2.75^2) = -14.6 m/s^2

So, in order for the car to collide with the truck, the deceleration needs to be increased to -14.6 m/s^2. Keep in mind that this calculation assumes that the truck remains at a constant distance of 25 m from the car. If the truck moves or the car swerves, the collision time will be different.

Related to How Long Will It Take for the Car to Collide with the Truck?

1. How do I calculate elapsed time?

To calculate elapsed time, you need to find the difference between the start time and end time. This can be done by subtracting the start time from the end time. For example, if the start time is 9:00 AM and the end time is 10:30 AM, the elapsed time would be 1 hour and 30 minutes.

2. What is the formula for calculating time?

The formula for calculating time is: Time = Distance / Speed. This formula is commonly used in physics to determine the time it takes for an object to travel a given distance at a certain speed.

3. How do I convert hours to minutes?

To convert hours to minutes, you need to multiply the number of hours by 60. For example, if you have 2 hours, you would multiply 2 by 60 to get 120 minutes.

4. Can I use a calculator to calculate time?

Yes, you can use a calculator to calculate time. Most calculators have a "time" function that allows you to input the hours, minutes, and seconds and will calculate the total time for you.

5. How do I calculate the average time?

To calculate the average time, you need to add all the individual times together and then divide by the number of times. For example, if you have three times of 5 minutes, 10 minutes, and 15 minutes, the average time would be (5+10+15)/3 = 10 minutes.