How Long Will It Take Sam to Catch Up to John?

• Thread starter harujina
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, Sam will take longer to catch up to John if he accelerates. This is because he has a negative Δd, which means he's traveling away from John.
harujina

Homework Statement

Sam is running at 3.8 m/s and is 75m behind John who is running at a constant velocity of 4.2m/s. If Sam accelerates at 0.15m/s^2, how long will it take him to catch John?

Homework Equations

d = (vf+vi/2)t
vf = vi + at
d = vit + 1/2at^2
vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
d = vft - 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly do not know how to solve this problem...
I think I should probably find Δd of John first? His acceleration = 0, his initial and final velocity is 4.2m/s... correct? and for Sam, his initial velocity = 3.8m/s, his acceleration = 0.15m/s^s and would his Δd = -75m ...

I really don't understand this question or what I should begin to solve first and how...
Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
For Sam to catch John both of them should have the same point in space

Start by defining a distance d from the initial position of Sam to the point they will meet. Then look at the formulas.

So initial position or Δd of Sam = -75m + 3.8m/s... no?
and point they will meet is 4.2m/s + 75m? since they're both in constant motion?
I'm still really confused.

harujina said:
So initial position or Δd of Sam = -75m + 3.8m/s... no?
and point they will meet is 4.2m/s + 75m? since they're both in constant motion?
I'm still really confused.
Always look at your units to see if the answer makes sense!

The initial position of Sam can be taken as 0 and the point where they will eventually meet is a distance d from it.Now you use what you know about Sam and John plus the formulas to find two equations with the time it takes them to reach the point d .Solve them to find t.
Try drawing a diagram if you still have problems understanding.

Related to How Long Will It Take Sam to Catch Up to John?

1. What is the formula for calculating motion?

The formula for calculating motion is distance = rate x time, or d = rt.

2. How do I solve a motion equation problem?

To solve a motion equation problem, you need to identify the variables given in the problem (distance, rate, time) and plug them into the appropriate formula. Then, solve for the missing variable using basic algebra.

3. What are the units for distance, rate, and time in motion equations?

The units for distance are typically meters (m), for rate they are meters per second (m/s), and for time they are seconds (s). However, the units may vary depending on the specific problem and units used.

4. Can I use motion equations for objects moving at a constant rate?

Yes, motion equations can be used for objects moving at a constant rate as well as for objects with changing rates. In cases of constant rate, the rate will remain the same throughout the entire motion equation problem.

5. Are there different types of motion equations?

Yes, there are different types of motion equations depending on the type of motion being studied. For example, there are equations for constant motion, accelerated motion, and projectile motion. Each type of motion may require a different formula to solve for the variables.