How Long Will it Take to Drain a 600 Gallon Tank Down a Hill with a 4 Pipe?

• Thread starter dontknowsht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the person is seeking help with setting up a vegetable garden on a hill with no water supply. They plan to have a 600 gallon water storage tank at the bottom of the hill and use a 4" drain pipe to connect it to another 600 gallon tank at the top of the hill for drainage. They are unsure about how long it will take to drain the top tank through the pipe and fill the bottom tank, which is located about 130' away. It is estimated that it will take around 5-10 minutes to empty the top tank.
dontknowsht
I know absolutely nothing about physics, math or anything remotely similar.Perhaps some of you can help me.Here is my situation. There is a hill on our property with no water supply and I want to start a vegetable garden down the hill.The plan is to have a 600 gallon water storage tank at the bottom of the hill with a 4" drain pipe running from the tank to the top of the hill where it can be attached to another 600 gallon truckbed tank for drainage.I haven't bought any of this stuff yet and was wondering how long it will take to drain the truckbed tank down the hill through the 4" pipe and fill the storage tank at the bottom of the hill.All drainpipe fittings are 4".The hill is at a fairly steep slope(I don't know for sure what the exact angle is but maybe you can estimate)the tank is located about 130' from the top of the hill.How long will it take to empty the tank?Thanks.any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody huh?

I don't understand the situation... So the idea is, you fill the top tank, and let it drain to the bottom tank? Then use the water in the bottom tank for your garden?

Why don't you just fill the bottom tank? You said the top tank was for drainage - draining what?

There is no water source to fill the water tank at the bottom of the hill so it has to be done with a full water tank in the back of a truck.The top tank is for water drainage. The plan is to pull up,connect the 4 inch pipe to the fitting on the truck tank,open the gate valve and drain water to the bottom tank.I apologize for the lack of details.does this make sense?

when i asked "how long will it take to empty the tank" i am referring to the truck tank at the top of the hill

Cool, makes sense.
Order of magnitude, 5 minutes (10 tops).

Okay cool.Thank you!

Related to How Long Will it Take to Drain a 600 Gallon Tank Down a Hill with a 4 Pipe?

1. How long will it take to drain a 600 gallon tank down a hill with a 4-inch pipe?

The time it takes to drain a tank depends on several factors such as the diameter of the pipe, the slope of the hill, and the viscosity of the liquid. However, assuming the tank is filled to the top and the pipe is 4 inches in diameter, it would take approximately 7.5 minutes to drain the tank completely down the hill.

2. What is the flow rate of the 4-inch pipe?

The flow rate of a pipe is determined by its diameter, length, and the pressure difference between the two ends. In this scenario, the flow rate would be approximately 80 gallons per minute.

3. How does the slope of the hill affect the draining time?

The steeper the slope of the hill, the faster the tank will drain. This is because gravity plays a crucial role in the draining process, and a steeper slope provides a greater gravitational force, resulting in a faster flow rate.

4. Can the draining time be affected by the viscosity of the liquid in the tank?

Yes, the viscosity of the liquid can significantly impact the draining time. Liquids with high viscosity, such as honey, will take longer to drain compared to water or other less viscous liquids.

5. Is there a way to calculate the draining time for different tank sizes and pipe diameters?

Yes, there are various equations and formulas that can be used to determine the draining time for different tank sizes and pipe diameters. These equations take into account the volume of the tank, the diameter and length of the pipe, the slope of the hill, and the viscosity of the liquid. A simple online search can provide these formulas for specific scenarios.

Back