How long will it take to sail across the bay to the harbor?

In summary: If you draw a line from the tower to the point on the dock that the observer is looking at and that line is at a right angle to BDH, then VDH is that angle.In summary, the man climbs 50 meters up a tower to see the harbor. He measures the angle between his line of sight to the harbor and the direction of the dock to be 79.64 degrees. He estimates that his boat can maintain a velocity in the direction of the bow of 100 meters per minute with the wind that is blowing. It will take him in hours and minutes to sail across the bay to the harbor.
Abdeln

Homework Statement

A man is going to sail his sailboat across a bay to a harbor from his dock and wants to know how long it will take him. He knows that if he sails directly across the bay from his dock he will reach the harbor. However, he has no charts so he doesn't know the distance to the harbor. There is a tower at right angles the line between the dock and the harbor. The tower is 3.75x10^3 meters from the dock and is 10^2 meters high. He gets into his car and drives to the tower. He climbs 50 meters up the tower until he can see the harbor. He measures the angle between his line of sight to the harbor and the direction of the dock to be 79.64 degrees. He estimates that his boat can maintain a velocity in the direction of the bow of 100 meters per minute with the wind that is blowing. How long will it take him in hours and minutes to sail across the bay to the harbor.

Homework Equations

Law of Cosines, Law of sines, T=D/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted to draw the picture, but I know my drawings are incorrect because my answers come out to be negative somehow. If someone could just draw the picture for me, I could go on from there

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pls post your drawing first.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1361164576.005995.jpg
- That is my most recent drawing. I believe it is correct, but I don't know where to include the 79.64 degree angle

You need to represent the third dimension, with a perspective drawing or several plane drawings. E.g. you could draw one for the plane containing the dock, D, the harbour, H, and the viewing point from the tower, V.
Can you work out the distance DV and the angle VDH?

I got DV to equal 4790.228253 and angle vdh to be simply 45 degrees

Abdeln said:
I got DV to equal 4790.228253 and angle vdh to be simply 45 degrees
The question is not worded very well. It does not make it clear where the tower is in relation to the dock. Saying it's "at right angles to the line ..." doesn't mean anything unless the point of reference on the line is given. The only interpretation that makes sense to me is that BDH is a right angle, where the base of the tower is point B.
On that understanding, what is angle VDH?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1361246196.103417.jpg
I managed I figure out. You're right it's not worded well enough and that's what really confused me. Apparently all I had to was put 79.64 as the angle on the tower.

Related to How long will it take to sail across the bay to the harbor?

1. What is velocity in physics?

In physics, velocity is defined as the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude (speed) and direction of motion.

2. How is velocity calculated in physics?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed in physics?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably in everyday language, but in physics, they have distinct meanings. While speed refers to the rate of change of distance traveled, velocity takes into account the direction of motion as well.

4. How does velocity affect an object's motion?

Velocity plays a crucial role in determining an object's motion. The direction of an object's velocity determines the direction of its motion, and the magnitude of its velocity affects its speed. A change in velocity can also cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction.

5. What are some common units used to measure velocity in physics?

In the SI (International System of Units), the standard unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s). Other common units include kilometers per hour (km/h), feet per second (ft/s), and miles per hour (mph).