How Long Would a 10 Light Year Tall Domino Take to Reach Impact?

• Thread starter ogregun
  • Start date
In summary, the scenario of a 10 light-year tall domino falling on Earth is unrealistic due to the laws of physics governing acceleration and the limit of the speed of light. The domino would not fall to Earth, but rather, Earth would fall towards the domino. Additionally, the toppling force would not instantly reach the far end of the domino, limiting its speed of fall.
ogregun
Please note that this is something that has been eating me lately...it is in EVERY way unrealistic. Keep that in mind, before saying "But ogregun, that is not at all possible", because I understand this already. Thanks. And now...

The scenario is that you have something that is shaped similar to a domino. It is 10 light years (!) tall. It is standing on a flat surface...that has the same gravitational rules as earth, (actually its entire body of existence is abiding by these physics). It then gets a nudge the equivalent in impact/velocity of a normal finger nudge with a normal sized domino.

What happens?

The first thing I'm wondering is how long would it take to reach impact? Would it take the same amount of time as a normal sized domino? I'm thinking it would but I'm not sure.

I'm also wondering what rate torwards the surface it would be traveling once it reached full speed...would it be traveling faster than light? By my thinking it would hit the ground as fast as a normal domino (same gravity, same equivalent impact to send it down). If this is the case, and it takes less than a second for a 10 light year tall object to travel to the ground...wouldn't it be traveling faster than light?

Thanks in advance for awnsers. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculating how long it takes a stiff object to fall is actually a common basic dynamics problem. It is a function of the height of the object alone (assuming it is uniform density). But there's a problem - the taller the object, the greater the forces trying to break it apart. There are some neat videos on the net of tall towers being toppled. The difference in acceleration along the length of the tower causes a large force that breaks it apart, with the different parts then falling approximately at g.

But, you say, what if it was infinitely stiff? What if pigs could fly? They can't. Regardless, when you attempt to accelerate any object to a high fraction of the speed of light, Relativity takes over and prevents you from achieving the speed of light.

Last edited:
ogregun said:
Please note that this is something that has been eating me lately...it is in EVERY way unrealistic. Keep that in mind, before saying "But ogregun, that is not at all possible", because I understand this already. Thanks. And now...

The scenario is that you have something that is shaped similar to a domino. It is 10 light years (!) tall. It is standing on a flat surface...that has the same gravitational rules as earth, (actually its entire body of existence is abiding by these physics). It then gets a nudge the equivalent in impact/velocity of a normal finger nudge with a normal sized domino.

What happens?

The first thing I'm wondering is how long would it take to reach impact? Would it take the same amount of time as a normal sized domino? I'm thinking it would but I'm not sure.

I'm also wondering what rate torwards the surface it would be traveling once it reached full speed...would it be traveling faster than light? By my thinking it would hit the ground as fast as a normal domino (same gravity, same equivalent impact to send it down). If this is the case, and it takes less than a second for a 10 light year tall object to travel to the ground...wouldn't it be traveling faster than light?

Thanks in advance for awnsers. :)

If you scaled a domino up to 10 light-years, it would not fall to Earth (much); Earth would fall to it.

Think of it as being similar to a weight on the end of a string, being swung around you. The rpm's are practically limited only by your muscles, how much you can spin around without passing out, and the strength of the string; there's no way that you could attain relativistic speed on the weight. Theoretically, though, the limit is when the speed of the weight approaches c. If you were to get to that limit, and then let the string out, the weight would not speed up. On the contrary, its angular speed would slow down since it would have farther to go for each degree of movement at the same speed. Similarly, your rigid domino could not fall at an angular speed that allowed the far end to reach c.
Also, the toppling force would propogate through the domino at the speed of sound in that material, not instantly.

FAQ: How Long Would a 10 Light Year Tall Domino Take to Reach Impact?

1. How long would it take for a 10 light year tall domino to reach impact?

The time it takes for a 10 light year tall domino to reach impact would depend on various factors such as the speed at which it is falling, the medium it is falling through, and any external forces acting on it. However, assuming ideal conditions, it would take approximately 10 years for the domino to reach impact.

2. What is a light year?

A light year is a unit of distance used in astronomy, defined as the distance that light travels in one Earth year. It is about 9.46 trillion kilometers or 5.88 trillion miles. It is often used to measure distances between stars and galaxies.

3. How tall is a 10 light year tall domino?

A 10 light year tall domino would be an extremely large structure, measuring about 9.46 x 10^16 kilometers or 5.88 x 10^16 miles. This is equivalent to approximately 63,000 times the distance from the Earth to the Sun.

4. What would happen if a 10 light year tall domino was pushed over?

If a 10 light year tall domino was pushed over, it would theoretically take about 10 years for it to reach impact. However, in reality, it would likely never reach impact as it would encounter various obstacles and forces that would slow it down or change its direction.

5. Is it possible to build a 10 light year tall domino?

Technically, it is possible to build a 10 light year tall domino, but it would be extremely difficult and impractical. The sheer size and weight of such a structure would make it nearly impossible to construct and maintain. Additionally, the slightest disturbance or external force could easily topple the domino before it even reaches impact.

Back