How Loud Is a Firework Explosion at 4300 Meters Distance?

In summary: I'll try to use the equation for distance then. In summary, the sound level at a distance of 4.30 x 103 from the explosion will be 127.9 Pa.
songoku

Homework Statement

A firework charge is detonated many metres above the ground. At a distance d1=550 m from the explosion, the acoustic pressure reaches a maximum of ΔPmax = 10 Pa. Assume the speed is constant at 343 m/s throughout the atmosphere over the region considered and the ground absorbs all the sound falling on it. Assume that the density of air 1.2 kgm-3. What is the sound level at a distance of d2 = 4.30 x 103 from the explosion?

aa-2.jpg

Homework Equations

Don't know

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know what the relevant equations that should be used to solve this question. Please help me to start, I don't have clue

Physics news on Phys.org
hi songoku! :smile:
songoku said:
A firework charge is detonated many metres above the ground. At a distance d1=550 m from the explosion, the acoustic pressure reaches a maximum of ΔPmax = 10 Pa. Assume the speed is constant at 343 m/s throughout the atmosphere over the region considered and the ground absorbs all the sound falling on it. Assume that the density of air 1.2 kgm-3. What is the sound level at a distance of d2 = 4.30 x 103 from the explosion?

i'll guess that you're supposed to assume that the height is negligible, and that there's no reflection (ie, the ground isn't there) :wink:

tiny-tim said:

i'll guess that you're supposed to assume that the height is negligible, and that there's no reflection (ie, the ground isn't there) :wink:

hi tiny-tim :smile:

Sorry still not know how to proceed. Acoustic pressure is the difference between the total pressure and atmospheric pressure, so the total pressure at that point is almost the same as atmospheric pressure.

I don't understand how to combine all the information given; I have pressure, density, speed. What is the relation between them?

Should I use TI2=TI1 + 10.log (r1/r2) to find the sound level?
TI1 = 10 log (I/I0) and I = power / area and I don't have the information to find all the variables needed. I even don't know whether I am on the right track or not

tiny-tim said:

Oh I never know that formula...:redface:

P1 = 10 + 1 x 105 = 100010 Pa
r1 = 550 m
r2 = 4.3 x 103 m

So P2 = 127.9 Pa

sound level = 10 log (P / Pref)2

Do I use P1 as the Pref?

(just got up :zzz:)

from that wikipedia: The distance law for the sound pressure p in 3D is inverse-proportional to the distance r of a punctual sound source

so you apply it directly to the 10 Pa
songoku said:
Do I use P1 as the Pref?

sorry, no idea :redface:

tiny-tim said:

(just got up :zzz:)

from that wikipedia: The distance law for the sound pressure p in 3D is inverse-proportional to the distance r of a punctual sound source

so you apply it directly to the 10 Pa

What does it mean by "punctual sound source"? Does it mean the pressure at that point or just the difference of pressure from atmospheric pressure?

sorry, no idea :redface:

Do you have idea of alternative equation that can be used?

songoku said:
What does it mean by "punctual sound source"?

it means a point source (as opposed to a spread-out source) :smile:

"punctual" is a word meaning "at the correct time" which some idiots are trying to re-define as meaning "related to a point" :rolleyes:

tiny-tim said:
it means a point source (as opposed to a spread-out source) :smile:

"punctual" is a word meaning "at the correct time" which some idiots are trying to re-define as meaning "related to a point" :rolleyes:

Ok. Thanks for the help

FAQ: How Loud Is a Firework Explosion at 4300 Meters Distance?

1. What is the sound level of an explosion?

The sound level of an explosion can vary greatly depending on the size and intensity of the explosion. On average, the sound level of an explosion can range from 140-190 decibels (dB). This is considered extremely loud and can cause permanent hearing damage if exposed for extended periods of time.

2. How is the sound level of an explosion measured?

The sound level of an explosion is measured in decibels (dB) using a sound level meter. This device measures the intensity of sound waves and converts it into a numerical value. The higher the dB level, the louder the sound.

3. How does the distance from an explosion affect the sound level?

The sound level of an explosion decreases as the distance from the explosion increases. This is because the sound waves spread out as they travel, causing the intensity to decrease. However, even at a distance, the sound level of an explosion can still be dangerously high.

4. What factors can affect the sound level of an explosion?

The main factors that can affect the sound level of an explosion include the size and intensity of the explosion, the type of explosives used, and the environment in which the explosion occurs. For example, an explosion in an open area will produce a louder sound compared to an explosion in a closed space.

5. Can the sound level of an explosion cause physical damage?

Yes, the sound level of an explosion can cause physical damage to the human body. Exposure to extremely loud sounds, such as those from explosions, can cause permanent hearing loss, damage to the eardrums, and other ear-related injuries. It is important to always use proper hearing protection when near explosions or other loud sounds.