How many aluminum atoms can line up across a page?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathcoral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, by using the ratio of the page width in picometers to the diameter of an aluminum atom, it was determined that approximately 7.71x108 spherical aluminum atoms could line up across a standard page of paper with a width of 21.59 cm.
mathcoral
The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The radius of an aluminum atom is about 140 picometers. How many spherical aluminum atoms could line up across a page of paper?The paper's width is 21.59 cm. Converting to picometers, the width is 2.159 x 1011 pm

I used the ratio of width of the page in picometers divided by the diameter of the aluminum atom

(2.159 x 1011pm)/(280pm)

I got 7.71x108 aluminum atoms.
I am not sure if this is the answer.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathcoral said:
The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The radius of an aluminum atom is about 140 picometers. How many spherical aluminum atoms could line up across a page of paper?The paper's width is 21.59 cm. Converting to picometers, the width is 2.159 x 1011 pm

I used the ratio of width of the page in picometers divided by the diameter of the aluminum atom

(2.159 x 1011pm)/(280pm)

I got 7.71x108 aluminum atoms.
I am not sure if this is the answer.
Looks good to me.

-Dan

Related to How many aluminum atoms can line up across a page?

1. What is the phenomenon of atoms lining up across a page?

The phenomenon of atoms lining up across a page refers to the arrangement of atoms in a two-dimensional space, such as a piece of paper or a computer screen. This is also known as a crystal lattice structure.

2. Why do atoms line up in this way?

Atoms line up across a page due to the forces of attraction between the atoms. These forces, known as interatomic forces, are responsible for the arrangement of atoms in a crystal lattice structure.

3. What is the significance of atoms lining up in this pattern?

The pattern of atoms lining up across a page is significant because it determines the physical and chemical properties of a material. The arrangement of atoms affects the strength, conductivity, and other properties of a substance.

4. Can atoms line up in different patterns?

Yes, atoms can line up in different patterns depending on the type of material and the conditions under which it was formed. For example, atoms can form a cubic, hexagonal, or tetragonal lattice structure.

5. How does the arrangement of atoms affect the behavior of materials?

The arrangement of atoms can greatly affect the behavior of materials. For example, a material with a highly ordered crystal lattice structure will be stronger and more rigid, while a material with a less ordered structure will be more flexible and malleable.