How many bits or bytes of information are present in 1 atom

In summary, the number of bits that can be encoded into the state of an atom is much smaller than the number of bits that can be read out of the state of an atom.
Wolfenstein3d said:
Also i didnt see you disagree with anything i said other then

That's not how the forum works. You can't post incorrect statement after incorrect statement, and when one isn't immediately countered then conclude people must think it's correct.

Wolfenstein3d said:
An office clerk physicist who basically freestyled GR because it followed the way he thought things should work is pretty much equivalent to an armchair physicist. Not bad company tbh.

Comparing yourself to Einstein, albeit obliquely, is not likely to help. Especially as Einstein developed GR largely when he was at ETH. But ultimately you need to decide what you are here for. Are you trying to get questions answered? Or are you trying to promote a particular point of view. If the former, I would stop doing the latter.

Likes Dale, PeroK and weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
That's not how the forum works. You can't post incorrect statement after incorrect statement, and when one isn't immediately countered then conclude people must think it's correct.

So your saying it was right for so many discoverers to be labeled heretics and sometimes stoned to death when they dared to question the traditional way of thinking?

You want to ostracize me even when the result of this will be a better
PeterDonis said:
You seem to have the misconception that the HUP means the universe is discrete, not continuous. That's not the case. Position for a free particle is a continuous observable in standard QM, not a discrete one. The HUP doesn't change that.

As I mentioned before, there are speculations that spacetime might be discrete instead of continuous at the Planck scale, but those are just speculations.

Also, as has been discussed, what we know of black hole thermodynamics and the Bekenstein bound suggests that only a finite amount of information can be stored in a finite volume. But that has nothing to do with the HUP.
No, it doesn't. The HUP says that a quantum system's allowed states do not include certain kinds of states that classically would have been expected--for example, a state which has both an exact position and an exact momentum. But that is not the same as the allowed states being discrete or the information that can be in principle stored in the state being limited. It just means the continuous state space in QM is not the same as the continuous state space you would expect from classical physics.

As above, there are indeed reasons to think that only a finite amount of information can be stored in a system with a finite volume; but those reasons have nothing to do with the HUP. I've said this repeatedly now and you have not appeared to grasp it.
No. The HUP is not the same as "uncertainty about the location of each colored pixel". It has nothing to do with pixels. I've said this repeatedly, and others have said it as well, and you have not appeared to grasp it.
Theres actually some debate as to whether space is quantized Peter. Even with continuous space events can still occur in a quantized manner, Like the spinning wheel on the price is right. The wheel spins smoothly, but the point points in an all-or-nothing, quantized manner.

Thread locked for possible moderation.

So your saying it was right for so many discoverers to be labeled heretics and sometimes stoned to death when they dared to question the traditional way of thinking?

Oh, stop! Don't even try to compare yourself to people being labeled heretics by a non-scientific institution hundreds of years ago. It's just silly.

Wolfenstein3d said:
Even with continuous space events can still occur in a quantized manner, Like the spinning wheel on the price is right. The wheel spins smoothly, but the point points in an all-or-nothing, quantized manner.

So? This has nothing to do with what Peter was telling you. Since it seems you are more interested in arguing than actually learning, this thread will remain locked.