How Many Bound States Exist in a Half Finite Square Well?

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle of mass m in a potential well with three bound states. The probability for finding the particle outside the well is calculated by integrating the probability density function over the appropriate limits and using a normalization condition to solve for the constant C.
Bobbo Snap

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is in the potential
[tex] V(x) = \left\{
\begin{array}{rl}
\infty & \text{if } x < 0\\
-32 \hbar / ma^2 & \text{if } 0 \leq x \leq a \\
0 & \text{if } x > a.
\end{array} \right.
[/tex]

(a) How many bound states are there?

(b) In the highest energy bound state, what is the probability that the particle would be found outside the well?

Homework Equations

Schrodinger's Time Independent Eqn. [itex] -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2} - V(x)\psi = E \psi [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting with [itex]0<x<a[/itex], I rewrote the S.T.I. eqn to read [itex] \frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2} = -k^2\psi[/itex]
where [itex]k=\sqrt{2m(E-V)/\hbar^2}[/itex].
The solutions being [itex]\psi=A\cos{kx} + B\sin{kx}[/itex], I dropped the cosine term because [itex]\psi(0) = 0[/itex] leaving [tex]\psi(x) = B\sin{kx} \text{ (eqn 1)}[/tex]
When [itex] x>a, V=0 [/itex] and the S.T.I. eqn. gives [itex]\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} = l^2\psi[/itex] where [itex]l = \sqrt{-2mE/\hbar^2}[/itex] The solutions are exponential and I dropped the positive one because it blows up as x gets big. So I have
[tex] \psi = Ce^{-lx} \text{ (eqn 2)} [/tex]
I set eqns. 1 and 2 equal by continuity at a. I set their derivatives equal by continuity of the derivative at a. So I have
[tex] B\sin{ka}=Ce^{-la} \text{ (eqn 3)} \qquad \text{ and } \qquad kB\cos{ka} = -lCe^{-la} \text{ (eqn 4) }[/tex]
Now I divide (4) by (3) and get
[tex] k\cot{ka} = -l[/tex]

From here I'm not sure where to go. The book (I'm using Griffith's) has a similar example for the fully finite square well. In it, he defines [itex]z=ka, z_0 = (ka\text{ with }E=0)[/itex] and then does some wizardry where he plots solutions and finds their intersection points. I have tried to do this with my slightly different problem and failed. But do I even need to plot intersection points to answer part (a)? I'm kind of lost. And then how would I proceed with part (b), just calculate the probability density?

*I can't edit my typo in the thread title? Embarrassing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good so far. Try writing that last equation in terms of ka. You should be able to show that
$$ka \cot ka = -la = -\sqrt{64-(ka)^2}.$$ You can't solve that equation analytically for ka, but you can see whether it has solutions by plotting the two sides of the equation and seeing where the curves intersect. If you need a numerical answer, you'll need to solve it numerically.

Thanks vela, I was able to work that out. It lead to three bound states. Does anyone have any advice on how to calculate the probability in part (b)?

What expression gives the probability for finding the particle between x and x+dx? Integrate that over the appropriate limits.

I integrate the probability density from a to infinity. In this case,
[tex] C^2 \int_a^{\infty}e^{-2lx}dx [/tex]
I need to normalize to find C right? I'm not sure what to do about B?
[tex] B^2 \int_0^a sin^2{(kx)}dx + C^2 \int_a^{\infty}e^{-2lx}dx = 1 [/tex]
Do I have this right?

Use your equation 3 to write B in terms of C. Then use the normalization condition to solve for C.

Ok, I see. Thank you for your help.

FAQ: How Many Bound States Exist in a Half Finite Square Well?

1. What is a Half Finite Square Well Problem?

A Half Finite Square Well Problem is a common concept in quantum mechanics that involves a potential energy barrier in the shape of a square well that is only present on one side. This creates a barrier that particles can pass through, but with a probability of reflection or transmission based on their energy level.

2. How is the Half Finite Square Well Problem used in science?

The Half Finite Square Well Problem is used as a simplified model to understand the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It is a useful tool for studying the properties of quantum systems and can be applied to a variety of scenarios, such as particle tunneling and energy levels in atoms.

3. What are the key components of a Half Finite Square Well Problem?

The key components of a Half Finite Square Well Problem are the potential energy barrier, the energy level of the particles, and the probability of reflection and transmission. The height and width of the barrier, as well as the energy level of the particles, can be adjusted to study different scenarios.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Half Finite Square Well Problem?

The Half Finite Square Well Problem has many real-life applications, such as in the development of semiconductors in electronics, the design of optical fibers for communication, and understanding the behavior of radioactive decay. It is also commonly used in studying the properties of atoms and molecules.

5. What are the limitations of the Half Finite Square Well Problem?

While the Half Finite Square Well Problem is a useful model, it has some limitations. It assumes a one-dimensional system and does not take into account factors such as particle interactions and external forces. It also does not fully represent the complex nature of quantum mechanics and is typically used as a starting point for more advanced studies.

Back