How Many Bright Spots Are Visible When Laser Shines Through Slits?

• Thread starter hellowmad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, the angular position of the first diffraction minimum for a 480 nm laser incident on a barrier with a single slit of width 8.0 x 10-5 m and a screen 2.0 m behind is θ≈sinθ= λ/a. With a second slit of the same width and centers 2.4 x 10-4 m apart, the smaller bright spots observable within the central bright region are -2, -1, 0, 1, and 2, resulting in a total of 5. This is based on the equations dsinθ=mλ and x=λml/d for constructive and destructive interference, respectively.
hellowmad
Homework Statement
The 480 nm laser is incident on an opaque barrier with a single slit of width 8.0 x 10-5 m. A screen to view the light intensity pattern is 2.0 m behind the barrier. Then a 2nd slit of the same width is made in the barrier. The centers of the slits are 2.4 x 10-4 m apart. Approximately how many smaller bright spots are now observable within the central bright region?
Relevant Equations
d sinθ = mλ for m = 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, ….(constructive)
d sinθ = (m + 1/2 λ) for m = 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, ….(destructive)
x =λml/d
The angular position of t)he first diffraction minimum is θ≈sinθ= λ/a, and dsinθ=mλ, so m = (dsinθ) /=[d(λ/a)]/λ =d/a = (2.4 x 10-4 m)/(8.0 x 10-5 m) =3.
Since both bright and dark pots separated on both sides of central bright region, so the smaller bright spots observable within the central bright region is -2, -1, 0, 1, and 2, which leads to total 5.
I want to see if I do it right.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hellowmad said:
Well, there's a picture here. Is that what you mean with your question ?

(PF doesn't really do approval stamps :wink: .)

##\ ##

Likes hellowmad
hellowmad said:
Homework Statement: The 480 nm laser is incident on an opaque barrier with a single slit of width 8.0 x 10-5 m. A screen to view the light intensity pattern is 2.0 m behind the barrier. Then a 2nd slit of the same width is made in the barrier. The centers of the slits are 2.4 x 10-4 m apart. Approximately how many smaller bright spots are now observable within the central bright region?
Relevant Equations: d sinθ = mλ for m = 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, ….(constructive)
d sinθ = (m + 1/2 λ) for m = 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, ….(destructive)
x =λml/d

The angular position of t)he first diffraction minimum is θ≈sinθ= λ/a, and dsinθ=mλ, so m = (dsinθ) /=[d(λ/a)]/λ =d/a = (2.4 x 10-4 m)/(8.0 x 10-5 m) =3.
Since both bright and dark pots separated on both sides of central bright region, so the smaller bright spots observable within the central bright region is -2, -1, 0, 1, and 2, which leads to total 5.
Thanks
Looks right to me.

Likes hellowmad
BvU said:
Well, there's a picture here. Is that what you mean with your question ?

(PF doesn't really do approval stamps :wink: .)

##\ ##
Yes it is want I mean. Thanks.

haruspex said:
Looks right to me.
thank for checking

Related to How Many Bright Spots Are Visible When Laser Shines Through Slits?

How does the number of slits affect the number of bright spots?

The number of bright spots, or diffraction maxima, increases with the number of slits. For a single slit, there is a central maximum and several side maxima. For a double slit, the number of bright spots is determined by the interference pattern created by the two slits. For multiple slits (a diffraction grating), the number of bright spots increases significantly, creating a more complex and detailed pattern.

What is the relationship between slit width and the visibility of bright spots?

The width of the slits affects the diffraction pattern. Narrower slits cause more significant diffraction, resulting in wider and more spread out bright spots. Conversely, wider slits produce narrower and more closely spaced bright spots. The slit width plays a crucial role in determining the angular position and intensity of the bright spots.

How does the wavelength of the laser light influence the diffraction pattern?

The wavelength of the laser light directly affects the spacing of the bright spots. Longer wavelengths result in wider spacing between the bright spots, while shorter wavelengths produce more closely spaced bright spots. This is because the angle at which constructive interference occurs depends on the wavelength of the light.

What role does the distance between the slits play in the diffraction pattern?

The distance between the slits, or slit separation, determines the spacing of the bright spots in the interference pattern. Larger slit separation results in more closely spaced bright spots, while smaller slit separation causes the bright spots to be more spread out. This relationship is described by the interference condition for constructive interference.

Can the number of bright spots be predicted mathematically?

Yes, the number of bright spots can be predicted mathematically using the principles of diffraction and interference. For a double slit, the position of the bright spots can be calculated using the formula \(d \sin \theta = m\lambda\), where \(d\) is the distance between the slits, \(\theta\) is the angle of the bright spot, \(m\) is the order of the maximum (an integer), and \(\lambda\) is the wavelength of the laser light. For multiple slits, more complex equations involving the slit width, separation, and number of slits are used to predict the positions and intensities of the bright spots.