How many different color patterns are possible?

In summary, there are 12!/4!4!4! different color patterns possible for 12 tulip bulbs to be planted in a 4x3 box with 4 white, 4 red, and 4 yellow bulbs. There are 3! patterns where each row is entirely the same color. And for the patterns with the four corner squares the same color, there are 3 x 8!/4!4! possibilities.
confuzzling

Homework Statement

A gardener has 12 tulip bulbs to plant in a box (4 columns by 3 rows). There are 4 white, 4 red and 4 yellow bulbs, and exactly one bulb is planted in each small square.
a. How many different color patterns are possible?
b. How many of these patterns have each row entirely the same color?
c. How many of these patterns have the four corner squares the same color?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I think this one is 12!/4!4!4!
b. and i think this one is 3!
Could I just get a confirmation of these 2?

c. Since the 4 bulbs of one color would be in the corner places, take 4 away from the original 12 spots available to get the other 2 colors' placement possibilities: 8!/4!4! I'm not sure if that's right and I think that I have to multiply something to represent the color that is in the 4 corners

Sorry I forgot to make a good title for the post...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a. This is correct. For a problem a such, you first suppose that each ball is different. This would give you 12! possibilities. Now since you have 3 kinds of balls, you eliminate reoccurrences counter in 12!. This would give 12!/4!4!4!

b. How about you treat each row as a single element? How many elements would you have then? How many different arrangements?

c. This is correct for 1 color. Now, consider if the color in the four corners change. To what would the respective number of possibilities add up?

for b, isn't that 3!? And I have considered that for c, but I just don't know how to calculate that, would I multiply it by 3 or something?

You are correct on both points :smile:

so c is 3 X 8!/4!4! ?

Yes it is.

wow lol it was so simple...thanks a lot for helping me clear that up

Related to How many different color patterns are possible?

1. How many different color patterns can be created?

The number of possible color patterns depends on several factors, such as the number of colors available, the size of the pattern, and the rules for creating the pattern. Therefore, it is not possible to give a single definitive answer to this question.

2. Is there a limit to the number of color patterns that can be created?

There is no limit to the number of color patterns that can be created theoretically. However, in practice, there may be limitations due to the number of colors available or the complexity of the pattern.

3. How do you calculate the number of possible color patterns?

The number of possible color patterns can be calculated using a combination formula, where the number of colors is the number of objects to be selected and the size of the pattern is the number of objects to be selected at a time. For example, if there are 7 colors available and the pattern size is 3, the number of possible patterns would be 7C3 = 35.

4. Can the same color pattern be created using different colors?

Yes, the same pattern can be created using different colors. For example, a black and white checkerboard pattern can also be created using red and blue colors.

5. Are some color patterns more common than others?

Yes, some color patterns may be more common than others due to cultural preferences or trends. For example, striped or plaid patterns may be more commonly seen in clothing compared to polka dots or paisley patterns.

Back