How many different research teams can the director build?

In summary: O.K. Admittedly we are making several assumptions about the setup (the wording) of your question.Both of us assume that there are two physicists who will not serve together, call them A & B.That means that any research group cannot have both A & B among the seven.Now a group can have A but not B, B but not A, or not A and not B. The number of ways that a research group can contain A and not B is $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{5}{3}.$The number of ways that a research group can contain B and not A is $\dbinom{6}{3}\d
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! :rolleyes:

I am given the following exercise:

The director of a research institute has in possession $6$ mathematicians and $7$ physicists.A research program requires the participation of $3$ mathematicians and $4$ physicists.How many different research teams can the director build,given that $2$ specific physicists deny to cooperate?

I thought that it could be like that: $\binom{6}{3} \cdot \binom{7-2}{4}$
Is it right or am I wrong? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
The director of a research institute has in possession $6$ mathematicians and $7$ physicists.A research program requires the participation of $3$ mathematicians and $4$ physicists.How many different research teams can the director build,given that $2$ specific physicists deny to cooperate?

With no restrictions at all there are $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{7}{4}$ ways to form the group.

Now that are $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{5}{2}$ ways to form the group with the two non-cooperative physicists together on it. But that is exactly what we must avoid.

How do we use those two to answer the question?

evinda said:
Hello! :rolleyes:

I am given the following exercise:

Hey! :)

It seems you don't want either of those 2 physicists on your team! (Wait)
But I think it would be okay if you just have 1 of those physicists in the team...

I like Serena said:
Hey! :)

It seems you don't want either of those 2 physicists on your team! (Wait)
But I think it would be okay if you just have 1 of those physicists in the team...

Oh yes,right! (Nod) But how can I calculate then the number of physicists that could be in a team?? :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Plato said:
Now that are $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{5}{2}$ ways to form the group with the two non-cooperative physicists together on it. But that is exactly what we must avoid.
Could you explain me further what this $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{5}{2}$ stands for? (Wondering)

evinda said:
Oh yes,right! (Nod) But how can I calculate then the number of physicists that could be in a team?? :confused:

Let's start with the number of physicist teams that won't work out if those 2 physicists, that are so difficult, would be in it.
Can you calculate that?

evinda said:

- - - Updated - - -

Could you explain me further what this $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{5}{2}$ stands for?

$\dbinom{6}{3}$ is the number of ways to choose the mathematicians.

$\dbinom{5}{2}$ is the number of ways to choose the two of the of the five cooperating physicists to put with the two who will not cooperate.

In other words $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{5}{2}$ is the number of team we do not want.

Subtract that from the total number of possible teams.

I like Serena said:
Let's start with the number of physicist teams that won't work out if those 2 physicists, that are so difficult, would be in it.
Can you calculate that?

As two physicists don't want to cooperate, we don't want $\binom{5}{2}$ physicists,or don't we take into consideration then that two specific don't want to cooperate?? :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Plato said:
$\dbinom{6}{3}$ is the number of ways to choose the mathematicians.

$\dbinom{5}{2}$ is the number of ways to choose the two of the of the five cooperating physicists to put with the two who will not cooperate.

In other words $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{5}{2}$ is the number of team we do not want.

Subtract that from the total number of possible teams.

So, $\dbinom{5}{2}$ expresses the two specific physicists,that don't want to cooperate,or just any two ones?

evinda said:
As two physicists don't want to cooperate, we don't want $\binom{5}{2}$ physicists,or don't we take into consideration then that two specific don't want to cooperate?? :confused:

Let's take into consideration that 2 specific ones, say Anna and Berta, do not want to cooperate.

I like Serena said:
Let's take into consideration that 2 specific ones, say Anna and Berta, do not want to cooperate.

I don't really know...So, $\binom{7}{4}-\binom{4}{2}$ physicists are possible to me in a team?? :confused:

Last edited:
evinda said:
I don't really know...So, $\binom{7}{4}-\binom{4}{2}$ physicists are possible to me in a team?? :confused:

O.K. Admittedly we are making several assumptions about the setup (the wording) of your question.
Both of us assume that there are two physicists who will not serve together, call them A & B.
That means that any research group cannot have both A & B among the seven.
Now a group can have A but not B, B but not A, or not A and not B.

The number of ways that a research group can contain A and not B is $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{5}{3}.$

The number of ways that a research group can contain B and not A is $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{5}{3}.$

The number of ways that a research group can contain not A and not B is $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{5}{4}.$

If you add those three numbers together you will see it is $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{7}{4}-\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{5}{2}$

Last edited by a moderator:
evinda said:
So, $\dbinom{5}{2}$ expresses the two specific physicists,that don't want to cooperate,or just any two ones?

The number $\dbinom{7-2}{2} = \dbinom{5}{2}$ expresses any 2 physicists that are not the 2 specific physicists.
That is, we pick 2 physicists from the remaining 5 and we pair them up with A and B, so we have a team of 4 physicists.

I like Serena said:
The number $\dbinom{7-2}{2} = \dbinom{5}{2}$ expresses any 2 physicists that are not the 2 specific physicists.
That is, we pick 2 physicists from the remaining 5 and we pair them up with A and B, so we have a team of 4 physicists.

I like Serena said:

If we consider that the physicists are these:

$P1,P2,P3,P4,P5,P6,P7$

and $P6,P7$ don't want to cooperate, aren't the couples, except from $P6 \text{ with} P7$ these?
  • P1-P2
  • P1-P3
  • P1-P4
  • P1-P5
  • P1-P6
  • P1-P7
  • P2-P3
  • P2-P3
  • P2-P4
  • P2-P5
  • P2-P6
  • P2-P7
  • P3-P4
  • P3-P5
  • P3-P6
  • P3-P7
  • P4-P5
  • P4-P6
  • P4-P7
  • P5-P6
  • P5-P7

So,there are $20$ possible couples...But, $ \dbinom{5}{2}=\frac{5!}{2!3!}=10$..Doesn't $ \dbinom{5}{2}$ stand for the possible couples,except from the two,that do not want to cooperate? Or have I understood it wrong?? :confused: (Blush)

We intended the number of teams that won't work out:
  1. P1-P2-P6-P7
  2. P1-P3-P6-P7
  3. P1-P4-P6-P7
  4. P1-P5-P6-P7
  5. P2-P3-P6-P7
  6. P2-P4-P6-P7
  7. P2-P5-P6-P7
  8. P3-P4-P6-P7
  9. P3-P5-P6-P7
  10. P4-P5-P6-P7

As you can see these are $\dbinom{5}{2}=10$ possibilities that always include $P6-P7$. (Bandit)

Since the total number of physicist teams is $\dbinom{7}{4}$, the number of allowed teams is:
$$\dbinom{7}{4} - \dbinom{5}{2} = 35 - 10 = 25$$
(Sun)

I like Serena said:
We intended the number of teams that won't work out:
  1. P1-P2-P6-P7
  2. P1-P3-P6-P7
  3. P1-P4-P6-P7
  4. P1-P5-P6-P7
  5. P2-P3-P6-P7
  6. P2-P4-P6-P7
  7. P2-P5-P6-P7
  8. P3-P4-P6-P7
  9. P3-P5-P6-P7
  10. P4-P5-P6-P7

As you can see these are $\dbinom{5}{2}=10$ possibilities that always include $P6-P7$. (Bandit)

Since the total number of physicist teams is $\dbinom{7}{4}$, the number of allowed teams is:
$$\dbinom{7}{4} - \dbinom{5}{2} = 35 - 10 = 25$$
(Sun)

I think I understood it! So,the director can build $25 \cdot 20=500$ research teams,right? :confused:

evinda said:
I think I understood it! So,the director can build $25 \cdot 20=500$ research teams,right? :confused:

Yep! (Mmm)

Plato said:
O.K. Admittedly we are making several assumptions about the setup (the wording) of your question.
Both of us assume that there are two physicists who will not serve together, call them A & B.
That means that any research group cannot have both A & B among the seven.
Now a group can have A but not B, B but not A, or not A and not B.

The number of ways that a research group can contain A and not B is $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{5}{3}.$

The number of ways that a research group can contain B and not A is $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{5}{3}.$

The number of ways that a research group can contain not A and not B is $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{5}{4}.$

If you add those three numbers together you will see it is $\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{7}{4}-\dbinom{6}{3}\dbinom{5}{2}$

I like Serena said:
Yep! (Mmm)
Nice,thank you! :rolleyes:

I like to think of the 2 physicists as a separate group. The options are taking neither of these 2, or taking one. So the number of possible teams is $6C3.5C4+6C3.5C3.2C1$, the first term corresponding to taking neither of the two refusers, the second term corresponding to taking (exactly) 1.

FAQ: How many different research teams can the director build?

1. How many different research teams can the director build?

The number of different research teams that a director can build depends on several factors, including the size and resources of the organization, the expertise and availability of researchers, and the specific goals of the research project. Therefore, it is difficult to determine an exact number.

2. Is there a limit to the number of research teams a director can build?

There is no specific limit to the number of research teams a director can build. However, depending on the factors mentioned above, there may be practical limitations such as budget constraints or a limited pool of available researchers.

3. How does the director choose which researchers to include in a research team?

The director typically chooses researchers based on their expertise and experience in the relevant field, as well as their availability and interest in the research project. The director may also consider factors such as diversity of perspectives and collaborations between researchers from different disciplines.

4. Can the director change or add members to a research team after it has been formed?

Yes, the director can make changes to a research team as needed. This may involve adding or replacing members who have left the project, or bringing in new expertise as the research progresses. However, these changes may require adjustments to the team's dynamics and may impact the project's timeline and budget.

5. Are there any benefits to having multiple research teams working on the same project?

Having multiple research teams working on the same project can bring different perspectives and expertise to the table, leading to more comprehensive and innovative results. It can also increase productivity and efficiency by allowing for parallel work on different aspects of the project. However, effective communication and coordination between the teams are crucial for the success of the project.