How many different solutions are there?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of different solutions for picking 3 non-neighboring numbers from a ring of 7 positive integers. The equation C(n,r) = n! / (r! * (n-r)!) is mentioned as a possible method for calculating this, but the person suggests a quicker solution using symmetry. They explain their reasoning for this method and also mention the brute force approach of listing all possible triplets and eliminating those with adjacencies.
Thiru07

Homework Statement

If we want to use positive integers from 1 until 7 to form a ring in order. Since 1 and 7 are adjacent to each other in the ring. Due to their neighbouring position, 1 and 7 are also considered as neighbour numbers. Then if we want to pick 3 non-neighbouring numbers from this ring of 7 numbers, how many different solutions are there?

Homework Equations

C(n,r) = n! / (r! * (n-r)!)

The Attempt at a Solution

Brute force.

Is there a quicker method to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your brute force solution? How did you implement it?

It's hard to evaluate the relative effort involved in alternative solutions if we don't know what the benchmark is. But without going too far out on a limb I think it's safe to say that a judicious use of symmetry should speed things up considerably.

Hi,
Thiru07 said:
Is there a quicker method to solve this problem?
Reasoning ?

I can pick #1 in 7 ways. Eliminates 2 neighbours. Leaves 4, of which two are at a distance 2 and two at a distance 3.
If I pick #2 as one of the two numbers at distance 2, I still have 2 choices for #3. So 4 possibilities.
If I pick #2 as one of the two numbers at distance 3, the last choice is dictated. So 2 possibilities.

7 x 6 has to be divided by 3! for the order in which I pick is arbitrary. Leaves 7 different solutions.

I suppose brute force is writing down all C(7,3) triplets (35) and erasing the ones that have adjacencies...

BvU said:
Hi,
I suppose brute force is writing down all C(7,3) triplets (35) and erasing the ones that have adjacencies...
Exactly.

FAQ: How many different solutions are there?

1. How do you determine the number of different solutions for a problem?

To determine the number of different solutions for a problem, you first need to clearly define the problem and identify all the variables involved. Then, you can use mathematical principles such as combinatorics and probability to calculate the total number of possible solutions.

2. Can a problem have an infinite number of solutions?

Yes, some problems can have an infinite number of solutions. For example, the equation x^2 = 4 has an infinite number of solutions, as any value of x that satisfies the equation is a valid solution.

3. Is it possible to have a problem with no solutions?

Yes, it is possible to have a problem with no solutions. This can occur when the problem is mathematically impossible or when there are conflicting constraints that make finding a solution impossible.

4. How does the number of variables affect the number of possible solutions?

The number of variables directly affects the number of possible solutions. The more variables a problem has, the larger the solution space becomes, and the more possible solutions there are.

5. Can two different problems have the same number of solutions?

Yes, it is possible for two different problems to have the same number of solutions. This can occur when the problems have similar constraints and variables, resulting in a similar solution space.