How many electrons are missing on the suspended oil drop?

• Thread starter homevolend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the number of missing electrons can be found by dividing the positive charge on the oil drop by the charge on one electron.
homevolend

Homework Statement

A positive charge oil drop weights X N. An electric field intensity of YN/C suspends the drop. How many electrons is the drop missing?

X and Y are given though I don't need to give them because I am wondering what formula to use.,

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already found the charge on the drop as q. now how would I find the amount of missing electrons? I am solving for N I know.

Would I do this: q=Ne?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. The number of "missing" electrons is just the (+) charge on the drop divided by the charge on one electron.

Related to How many electrons are missing on the suspended oil drop?

1. What are electrons?

Electrons are subatomic particles that have a negative charge. They are a fundamental part of atoms and are responsible for the flow of electricity.

2. How can electrons go missing?

Electrons can go missing in a few different ways. One common way is when an atom gains or loses an electron, creating an imbalance in its charge. Another way is when electrons are transferred from one material to another through friction or contact.

3. Why is it important to find missing electrons?

Finding missing electrons is important because it can help us understand the behavior of atoms and the flow of electricity. It can also help us identify and fix problems in electronic devices or systems.

4. How do scientists find missing electrons?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to find missing electrons. One method is to use instruments such as electron microscopes or particle accelerators. Another way is to study the behavior of atoms and their interactions with other particles.

5. Can missing electrons be replaced?

Yes, missing electrons can be replaced through processes such as electric current or chemical reactions. In some cases, scientists can also artificially add or remove electrons to manipulate the behavior of atoms and create new materials with specific properties.