How many electrons in the ground state of a Hg atom

In summary, the number of electrons in the ground state of a Hg atom that can have the quantum number ml = +1 is 5.
[V]
How many electrons in the ground state of a Hg atom can have the quantum number ml = +1?

The way I am trying to figure this out is as follows..

Electron configuration for HG is..
[Xe]6s^2 5d^10
n=6
l : ml
0: 0
1: -1,0,1
2: -2,-1,0,1,2
3 -3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3
4 -4,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4
5: -5,-4,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4,5

so ml can = +1 where l=1-5
Thats a total of 5 subshells that can have ml=+1.

If each subshell can hold two electrons, then the answer must be 10 right?
But apparently it is actually 16. Can someone please explain to me how it is 16?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You were already told at other forum how to approach the problem. You were already told what your approach is missing. Repeating question here in hope that someone will do it for you won't help.

List all orbitals (2p, 3d and so on) that are:

1. filled in Hg
2. may have ml = +1

--
methods

I did, and I get 12. I don't know where to go from here, if someone can just walk me through to the solution that's all I need.

I am stumped, and got no replies at that other forum. I do believe a new forum will render new replies...
I appreciate your trying to guide me, but I simply do not follow what you are trying to tell me.

Can you please try explaining this another way, or can someone else please explain how to do it?

Does nobody know how to do this?

I am inclined to believe that my answer key is wrong, and 16 is not the answer. It is either 10 or 12 I guess.

I don't see how you can possibly get 16...

Can you list ALL filled orbitals in Hg?

--
methods

1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^6 4s^2 3d^10 4p^6 5s^2 4d^10 5p^6 6s^2 4f^14 5d^10

It looks like every orbital is in fact filled.
And they all could have ml=+1 except for the 1s orbital.

Now what?

2s can have ml=+1?

What is n for 2s? l? Possible values of ml?

--

Last edited:
n for 2s = 2

where n=2
l= 0,1
ml can = +1 where l = 1

If I count all the subshells that can hold ml=+1 (basically everything with n=2 or higher) then multiply by two, I get a waaay bigger number.

Sorry to be naggy, but I really need to understand this fast. I have a final tomorrow morning!

Thanks!

n=2 & l=1 is not 2s, it is 2p.

--
methods

I understand that. But I still do not see how to get 16.

Can you please just walk me through this?

I think I see it. We are counting all the orbitals that are NOT "s" right? Each holds 2 electrons, that's 8x2=16?yyaay?

Yes. Wasn't that hard?

--
methods

nah.

Thanks a lot Borek, I <3 you.

Related to How many electrons in the ground state of a Hg atom

What is the ground state of a Hg atom?

The ground state of a Hg (mercury) atom is the lowest energy state that an electron can occupy in the atom.

How many electrons are in the ground state of a Hg atom?

There are 80 electrons in the ground state of a Hg atom.

What is the electron configuration of a Hg atom in its ground state?

The electron configuration of a Hg atom in its ground state is [Xe] 4f14 5d10 6s2.

How does the number of electrons in the ground state of a Hg atom compare to other elements?

The number of electrons in the ground state of a Hg atom (80) is higher than most other elements, as the atomic number of mercury is 80.

Why is it important to know the number of electrons in the ground state of a Hg atom?

Knowing the number of electrons in the ground state of a Hg atom is important because it helps us understand the chemical behavior and properties of mercury, as well as its reactivity with other elements.

Back