How Many Functions Have f(1) = f(2)?

In summary, there are 125 possible functions f: A -> B and 25 of them have the property that f(1) = f(2). This means that 1/5 of all possible functions have this property.
iamsmooth

Homework Statement

Let A = {1,2,3} and B = {1,2,3,4,5}
Find the number of functions f: A -> B so that f(1) = f(2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just reviewing random questions for my final on Tuesday and I came upon this question. Seems to be a counting question, and I'm not that sure how to do this since counting questions are more intuition than method (at least that's what I think). Here's what I got:

So a function sends an element from 1 set to another.

There are 3 possible values for the f function, namely f(1), f(2), and f(3).

There are 75 possibilities (5*5*5). So I guess you have to pick the possible values of f(1), f(2) and f(3). So f(1) has 5 choices, f(2) has 1 choice because it must match what f(1) was mapped to, f(3) can be whatever, so it's 5 again.

5 * 1 * 5 = 25

So there are 25 possible functions.

Is this correct? I always hated counting problems ><

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is right, except that 5*5*5 = 125, not 75.

This then leads to the intuitive result that 1/5 (25/125) of possible functions have f(1) = f(2).

Related to How Many Functions Have f(1) = f(2)?

1. What is a function counting question?

A function counting question is a type of mathematical problem that asks you to determine the number of possible combinations or arrangements of a given set of objects or variables. It involves using principles of counting and probability to find the total number of outcomes or solutions.

2. How do I approach a function counting question?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the question. Identify the given set of objects or variables and what is being asked for. Then, determine if the objects or variables are distinct or indistinguishable, and if the order matters or not. Finally, use appropriate counting techniques such as the fundamental principle of counting, permutations, or combinations to find the total number of possible outcomes.

3. What are the different types of function counting questions?

There are various types of function counting questions such as permutations, combinations, and the binomial theorem. Permutations involve counting the number of ways to arrange distinct objects in a specific order, while combinations involve counting the number of ways to select a subset of objects from a larger set. The binomial theorem is used to expand expressions involving binomial coefficients, which are often used in counting problems.

4. Can function counting questions be solved using formulas?

Yes, there are several formulas that can be used to solve function counting questions, such as the formula for permutations, combinations, and the binomial theorem. However, it is essential to understand the underlying principles and concepts behind these formulas to be able to apply them correctly.

5. How can I check if my solution to a function counting question is correct?

One way to check your solution is to try solving the problem using a different approach or method. Another way is to use a calculator or computer program to verify your answer. Additionally, it is always helpful to double-check your work and make sure you have not missed any possible outcomes.

Back